Nano Cube Filter Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badback

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have any of you Nano Cube owners tried replacing the stock pump with a more powerful one? I'm really curious what your results were. Thanks. :?:

The reason I'm asking is that the 1st stage foam filter is really giving me problems. It seems to clog rapidly and slow down the water flow. At this point, I'm considering another mechanical medium such as that in an Eclipse tank. What would you think?

I rinse out the sponges every week when I do water changes. I would like to add a ph to my tank, but I'm a little concerned about my bta and him wandering too close to it.

Personally in my nano I took out all of the sponges and bio material. I run a large bag of GAC only. While I am running the original powerhead from behind I did ass another small powerhead near the drains for a cross current. I don't run any bio material because I have a good amount of LS and about 20lbs of LR. I am consodering replacing the original pump with a maxijet 1200 which should fit perfectly.

I took my bio material out too! How much gac do you use and how often do you replace it?

I figure I'll be taking out the sponges sometime soon. My tanks only been setup up a month or two (on its own), is this a good reason to have the sponges in there for a little while till the rock is doing its thing?

Sumphead, what livestock do you have in your tank? Are you worried about sucking up anything in the ph? What one are you using?

I use only 1 sponge in the 3rd chamber right before the power head only for mechanical filtration. (1st chamber-live rock rubble, 2nd chamber-heater) All other sponges & bio-media were discarded so that the sandbed & live rock can be all that it can be! The sponge gets cleaned under running water every 2 weeks so that it does not become a biological medium.
1 bag of Chemi-Pure on top of the sponge in the 3rd chamber which also gets rinsed every 2 weeks, changed every 3 months.
Maxi-Jet 1200 @ 295 gph sounds too excessive for a tank of just 10"s in depth. As just with my Mini-Jet 606 @ 153 gph, my clown & gobies get blown around & stay towards the other side of the tank.

I replaced the sponges with Marineland Rite-Size filter pad for mechanical cleaning and I'm getting better flow though the system with the stock pump. I also added Seachem Purigen in addition to the carbon. I'll see how this works for a while.

Back
Top Bottom