Nano fish for a 2.5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
personally with that tank, i would do a heavy planted with a nice peice of drift wood that comes out the top of the tank slightly, have shrimp and call it a day.

Alright guys, I have come to a decision.
I will be putting one, maybe two, scarlet badis in there, plant it very thickly, and the scarlet badis will be 1 male, and maybe one female. As a good cleanup crew I will put a few RCS in there, and hopefully they will breed so that the badis have some live food.

Thanks,

Nils

P.S.: I am not a beginner, I have a 10 gallon with 5 cory catfish, very nicely planted. In my 2.5 I had a DP, but he got parasites and that killed him:(. I Will be cleaning it out, and btw does anyone have ideas for the 10 gallon of what could live with the cores?

I'm not an expert on Scarlets but I think they're rather nasty to eachother. May want to get a professional opinion there;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even a single neon tetra would fill this tank. You want to allow 1 gallon per inch of FULL GROWN fish. not the size you buy them, the size they will grow. That tank isn't good for much but a nursery or a quarantine tank.:ermm:

Even a single neon tetra would fill this tank. You want to allow 1 gallon per inch of FULL GROWN fish. not the size you buy them, the size they will grow. That tank isn't good for much but a nursery or a quarantine tank.:ermm:

No no no! If twenty neons tetras in a twenty have suddenly become the same as two ten inch oscars, let me know. Otherwise this rule never works- maybe as a very simple guideline for what fish you want but is in no way proper for stocking in actuality

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will be putting one, maybe two, scarlet badis in there, plant it very thickly, and the scarlet badis will be 1 male, and maybe one female. As a good cleanup crew I will put a few RCS in there, and hopefully they will breed so that the badis have some live food.

Thanks,

Nils

P.S.: I am not a beginner, I have a 10 gallon with 5 cory catfish, very nicely planted. In my 2.5 I had a DP, but he got parasites and that killed him:(. I Will be cleaning it out, and btw does anyone have ideas for the 10 gallon of what could live with the cores?

Why not just have the shrimp live in the 2.5 and put the scarlet in with the cories if your parameters are pretty stable so far with them. Then you can use the shrimp for food while still maintaining plenty. What kinds of cories are they? Some get quite big while others stay quite small.

Thanks,

Nils

Yes you can do heavily planted. I would start RCS first, so they are breeding , before adding Scarlet Badis. I've seen a similar set up. BUT it was HEAVILY planted. Even pairs may spar and it's usually VERY difficult to find SB females. Most turn out to be immature males :/

Ask to see the SBs eat in front of you. Many will only eat tiny live food. Mine ate some crushed flakes as well as frozen and live.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a beautiful tank :). I didn't see the Sb, but I'm sure they are beautiful. I think I will stick to breeding the RCS in that tank first, and then once they have small ones I will add one SB, possibly two if I can find a female. If they spar, I will move them to the ten gallon. Btw, the cores are 3 Julii and 2 peppered. I might add another peppered so they can form a school.

Thanks,

Nils

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=20&AquTankDepth=10&AquTankHeight=12&AquListBoxFilter=Choose&AquTextFilterRate=N%2FA+&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=peppered&AquListBoxChooser=Peppered+Cory+%28Corydoras+paleatus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=3&FormSubmit=Add+>&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300109%3A3%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=20&AquTankDepth=10&AquTankHeight=12&AquListBoxFilter=Choose&AquTextFilterRate=N%2FA+&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=peppered&AquListBoxChooser=Peppered+Cory+%28Corydoras+paleatus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=3&FormSubmit=Add+>&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300109%3A3%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

I tried to wrap this in URL tags and clean up the ">" character but not sure if this is the page you intended to display.

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?...AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

Thanks, I really want to get Scarlet Badis. I will go to the Upscale Aquatics, and see them feed. I will choose the ones most active and willing to feed, and I will put a couple ghost shrimp on the bottom, to see if they will breed and then the Scarlet Badis will eat the babies.

Thanks guys,

Nils

I was trying to guage the 10 gallon he described haha

Here's a pic of my 2.5g, it has tiger endlers from mr fisher, my shrimp, and a couple nerite snails. Low maintenance. No co2 no ferts.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414024769.616873.jpg

Thanks fresh. Stock light with 10watt 6500 cfl, filter running two. One that came with filter with ceramic rings where the water flows and a sponge prefilter, the other filter is a toms mini with floss and rings inside. Heated is a simple heater rated for a 10. Works great in here.

About three African dwarf frogs would do ok they need a lid but they are small DON'T need land they can live there in tire life in water. Or you can fit two guppies in there

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

The do need to breath air

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I really want to get Scarlet Badis. I will go to the Upscale Aquatics, and see them feed. I will choose the ones most active and willing to feed, and I will put a couple ghost shrimp on the bottom, to see if they will breed and then the Scarlet Badis will eat the babies.

Thanks guys,

Nils

Ghosts get bigger. Some are predatory. And they don't breed easily. RCS might be the better choice.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently saw the pygmy sunfish online, and I thought it would be cool to have one. But seeing how they are almost all endangered, and most likely caught in the wild, I have decided against it. I am choosing RCS and going to breed them, then get SB to clean up the baby shrimp. But do you have any information on the pygmy sunfish? They seem cool

Thanks,
Nils

Back
Top Bottom