Nano fish for planted 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have finished cycling my 5 gallon after 6 weeks and I am wanting to start with some live stock. Ik I want RCS but I was also wondering what kind of nano fish (cheap if possible) could go in there with them?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Neon or mosquito rasboras? Betta or you can try cherry barbs :)

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Neon or mosquito rasboras? Betta or you can try cherry barbs :)

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

Wouldn't do cherry barbs in a tank that small. What about
LEast killifish? Or endlers?

Fishobsessed7

Wouldn't do cherry barbs in a tank that small. What about
LEast killifish? Or endlers?

Fishobsessed7

Yeah youre right i retract my statement about the cherries :)

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

Endlers are nice.. but they do reproduce like guppies.. lots of babies. I happen to be very fond of Strawberry rasboras. Tiny guys, bright colour, males brighter but females are not colourless at all. They don't fight, shoaling species that usually sticks together more like a schooling one.. sometimes one will wander off for a bit but not for long. Mid level mostly but will feed off the bottom too.. really sweet little things if you can find some. Not shy at all either.

They're sharing with a ton of shrimp of various types and pygmy cories.. everybody gets along just fine.

Endlers are nice.. but they do reproduce like guppies.. lots of babies. I happen to be very fond of Strawberry rasboras. Tiny guys, bright colour, males brighter but females are not colourless at all. They don't fight, shoaling species that usually sticks together more like a schooling one.. sometimes one will wander off for a bit but not for long. Mid level mostly but will feed off the bottom too.. really sweet little things if you can find some. Not shy at all either.

They're sharing with a ton of shrimp of various types and pygmy cories.. everybody gets along just fine.

Cool. Where did u get them? Pics?

I think they were $25.00 if you bought ten of them. I am not absolutely certain of this price but that's what comes to mind. Less than ten, would have been a bit more per fish, Tommy usually gives a bit of a discount if you buy ten or more of most of the livestock.

Okay, I try to shop local but if nothing's at my LPS I'll definetly consider that

I just set up a planted 5 gallon, literally 2 months ago. :) I have 3 glowlight tetras and 10 RCS. They get along great. Just thought I'd present glowlights as another possible option. They're cheap, about $4 a fish depending on the store. What plants were you thinking of?

Here's a pic of one of my female RCS sitting on a tip of a jungle val :) (which are good plants for small tanks because they don't grow too tall.) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416904659.874215.jpg

Just some low light and tech plants my chi just has factory lighting which isn't great

Here's a pic of one of my female RCS sitting on a tip of a jungle val :) (which are good plants for small tanks because they don't grow too tall.) View attachment 256563

Jungle Val get SUPER tall !!!

"The largest of the Vallisneria is often called the jungle val. These plants have been classified as V. americana also, but they require different housing than the smaller plants. These plants usually have much wider and thicker leaves and can grow very long.

The leaves can easily grow to 6 FEET in length and longer. In a smaller or shorter tank those leaves will very quickly smother out all the light from anything below it. As the plants get more crowded they will push leaves out of the water that will dry out and die, making an unsightly mess of your tank. The Jungle val is a beautiful plant when kept in a very tall tank appropriate for its size and growth."
From the TFH article below.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/vallisneria.htm

My Clubmembers have to constantly trim their JV to keep it from blocking all the light.

Other Vals stay smaller.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad, you're right. Goes to show how much you can trust lfs fish guys...:/ but I should have known.

Sundanio Axlerodi 'Blue Neon' is and has been called other names, it was a different classification for some time. Neon Rasbora I think. They will likely eat some babies too.

Chilis, Boraras Brigittae just make sure to get 6+ of them, I had them with shrimp for a long while and had big populations of shrimp.

Just make sure to grind or smash the little pellets like Micro Bites from Hikari, or other food as they have tiny mouths and can starve to death. I don't use flakes in a tiny environment like that due to how easy it is to get ammonia spikes, info for what it is worth.

Killifish are small but hunters, so I wouldn't recommend them with dwarf shrimp if you are wanting to breed the shrimp.

Anubias, moss, Java Fern Subwassertang. You can supplement the lighting with a gooseneck desk or clamp light and a daylight CFL 6500-6700K, aimed at the side down towards the top edge down.

Wow thanks for all the help it's really helpful

Back
Top Bottom