nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to set up a very small nano tank and could use some advice. So far i'm thinking about 1.5-2 gallons, and a substrate with some form of nutrients. There will be a LOT of light (because the tank is so small, will this cause algae problems?). Ideally it will be virtually no maintenance outside of water changes and possibly dosing fertilizers (do any have CO2?), I don't want to add any invertebrates, fish, or a filter / heater if avoidable.

Plants being considered: Anubias barteria nana, crypts spiralis, maybe another type of small crypt

I hope you can all help me out on this one, I look forward to reading your advice.

I'm looking to set up a very small nano tank and could use some advice. So far i'm thinking about 1.5-2 gallons, and a substrate with some form of nutrients. There will be a LOT of light (because the tank is so small, will this cause algae problems?). Ideally it will be virtually no maintenance outside of water changes and possibly dosing fertilizers (do any have CO2?), I don't want to add any invertebrates, fish, or a filter / heater if avoidable.

Plants being considered: Anubias barteria nana, crypts spiralis, maybe another type of small crypt

I hope you can all help me out on this one, I look forward to reading your advice.

Algae will run rampant in this tank with those plants and high light. If you do high light you will need high light plants and co2. Is the lighting already set in stone?

Algae will run rampant in this tank with those plants and high light. If you do high light you will need high light plants and co2. Is the lighting already set in stone?

will a lower-wattage incandescent bulb work for plant growth as well as prevent the algae?

will a lower-wattage incandescent bulb work for plant growth as well as prevent the algae?

No no no please dont do that! Incaeescent bulbs will grow almost nothing but algae! If you have a fixture already tell us what you have. If you dont have one yet then look into LEDs. Very cheap options available. Especially in a tank that size. I would go on amazon amd buy some 6500k leds and some rgb leds and you would be gold.

No no no please dont do that! Incaeescent bulbs will grow almost nothing but algae! If you have a fixture already tell us what you have. If you dont have one yet then look into LEDs. Very cheap options available. Especially in a tank that size. I would go on amazon amd buy some 6500k leds and some rgb leds and you would be gold.

Actually i just found a bedside LED light fixture, 6 watts, would this work?

well shoot, so i need to buy a fixture for this specifically?

Water changes
Glut or Seachem Excel ( liquid Carbon)
Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Ferts

As long as you keep plants flourishing you shouldn't have algae.

This might help...
Algae
The main thing is to address why you might have Algae.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/algae/a/attackalgae.htm

Too much Light
Too much Food
Not enough Water Changes

It's one or all of them.
A little Algae is normal, a lot means something is out of balance.

I don't have an algae problem.
I do have algae eaters, but I supplement them.
Otos, snails and Shrimp. Plus LOTS of plants to compete with the Algae, plus lights are on timers, plus weekly PWCs.

how much light is too much?

That depends on your tank, your plants and your Ferts/CO2.

I use screw in CFLs on my 5.5g and 10g tanks. I had LEDs over my 1.5g.

The Kelvin rating and PAR rating of the bulbs determine how useful and how strong the bulbs are.

It's a small tank, just try it and see how it goes. With generic LEDs ? Try Java Fern, small Moss Ball, maybe Anubias Petite or Mini etc...

Lights on for 6-8hrs. Timers are cheap.
Good maintenance and Ferts. You might be fine. Could try a couple of RCS shrimp.

That depends on your tank, your plants and your Ferts/CO2.

I use screw in CFLs on my 5.5g and 10g tanks. I had LEDs over my 1.5g.

The Kelvin rating and PAR rating of the bulbs determine how useful and how strong the bulbs are.

It's a small tank, just try it and see how it goes. With generic LEDs ? Try Java Fern, small Moss Ball, maybe Anubias Petite or Mini etc...

Lights on for 6-8hrs. Timers are cheap.
Good maintenance and Ferts. You might be fine. Could try a couple of RCS shrimp.

would a CFL bulb be too much?

sounds good, as far as ferts / co2 goes, what will i be looking at in terms of that (there will be NO fish or invertebrates)?

Back
Top Bottom