Need a disease expert, stat......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phishman1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Little background. African cichlids for 45 years. Got burned out by bullies. Month or so ago cleaned out Africans, took to store and kept 3 larger docile Fronts. Decided to go with Angels.

120 Gallon Tank. 13 Angels, 3 Fronts, clean up crew. Temp is 75. PH: Approx 7.6.

Problem now: One of the angels stopped eating and isolated itself, its sides are a bit bulging, eyes fine, no pop eye, but still not eating after 3 days. Today same, though I did seem some white stringy poop.

Now rest of tank seems perfectly fine, I walk up and all fish quickly run to front. I put in some flake and all go crazy to eat, good sign, obviously except that one.

I feed a couple of various flake foods and was feeding daily a treat of frozen brine, all fish ate that and were ravenous.

Now, I have researched and what I saw so far and that's why I'm asking here is that its possible its just a couple of fish and they will either pass or clear on their own, not sure about that.

The one fish I took out and put in a smaller ten gallon and it was gone next day.

I've also read that API General cure is possible for what I see? Previously the LFS store guy whom I trust said since its a new tank with new fish, go ahead and treat with copper additive as a preventive which I did.

Again, I started with 14 relatively good sized angels, now lost one and second one doesn't look good. All remaining fish perfectly healthy looking and active.

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO AT THIS POINT? THANKS FOR THE HELP AND ADVICE. ALL I WANTED WAS A PRETTY TANK WITH VIRTUALLY NO PROBLEMS. PLUS MY WIFE WANTED ANGELS WHICH I LIKE AS WELL. BUT THIS CONSTANT PROBLEM WITH AN UNHEALTHY FISH OR TWO IS GOING TO MAKE HER SKITTISH. HAPPY WIFE, HEALTHY FISH, MEANING I CAN RAID CHECK BOOK FOR MORE FISH, LOL THANKS ALL...…..

No one has any information for me on this? I certainly thought that others have experienced the same problems and cured it using such and such, etc.

Well copper is pretty touchy to dose but assuming you were accurate with it that should have controlled ciliates. General cure would be a good next treatment. Should take out tapeworms for instance.

After that, if the fish don’t perk up you are probably at the callamnus stage but usually that isn’t the problem with Angels.

Go with the general cure, good chance that fixes things.

You added 14 fish and 2 are sick? All others are perfectly healthy?

Sometimes fish can’t handle stressors very well. You’re always going to get losses here and there.

Me personally, for 2 sick fish in 14 I’d just put it down to the fish not being 100% to begin with and move on at this point. There’s no need to do anything but observe.

Sometimes you get lucky and have no issues. You need to consider the fish and how the adapt to different water parameters. More stress = compromised immune function = greater risk of outbreak.

No need to subject the tank to more medication and potential stressors if unnecessary. Observe and see how things progress for now.

I think I read you have a quarantine tank. Put the angel in QT. Dose it with Epsom salt in case it over ate and is constipated. As for meds, I'd dose Metroplex and Paragaurd. You can mix them together and dose at the same time. Paragaurd is a daily dose and Metroplex you dose every two days. You can dose Metroplex up to three weeks. My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom