Need a few suggestions for craigslist find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HN1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey folks! The wife found a great deal on craigslist and after a little bargaining, I get a 100G frag (48x48x12) tank with stand (for $200) and she gets to set up a 55G Discus tank. :D

I would like suggestions on sump size. We have quite a few empty tanks, but they are all 20G or less except for one that won't fit the stand. Would it even be worth it to run a 20G sump on it knowing that it will limit the skimmer dimensions and refugium potential?

Lighting.... I'm thinking 1x250 MH pendant or 6-8 T5s. The heat is a concern with the MH, but we can get a used one in our local club cheaper than we can get the T5 setup. Thoughts? Recommended fixtures?

This is going to serve mostly as a growout tank for corals intended to go into our reef tanks in progress, but I was thinking of adding a damsel or two for pest consumption and a decent cleanup crew. Suggestions?

TIA!

So many options...

I like the MH idea. My frag tank is 24x48x12 and has 4x48" T5s. I'm not totally sold on the lighting just yet. 2x175 MH might be a better fit though because of the length.

All you really need for a sump is something big enough to hold your stuff: Skimmer, heater, what ever reactors you plan on using, filter sock, maybe a fuge....

Sounds like a good deal.

Well, picked it up today. :D

May also need suggestions for cleaning old salt creep and coralline. :-?

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_0592.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0592.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 89
  • rsz_dsc_0594.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0594.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 88
  • rsz_dsc_0593.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0593.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 92
WOW!

Such a nice frag tank!

I have read that some use muriatic acid, or a milder form such as vinegar. I have found some good results by using a strong bleach mixture and an overnight soak.

So looking forward to seeing how you progress with this. Although bigger, that tank is quite similar to my frag tank, hopefully you can show me how to improve my setup too.

WOW!

Such a nice frag tank!

I have read that some use muriatic acid, or a milder form such as vinegar. I have found some good results by using a strong bleach mixture and an overnight soak.

So looking forward to seeing how you progress with this. Although bigger, that tank is quite similar to my frag tank, hopefully you can show me how to improve my setup too.

Thanks for the cleaning advice! This is the first Acrylic tank I've owned so it's totally new to me. This is going to be a fairly long process since I'll be looking mostly for used equipment to get it going. Not sure if I can show you how to improve your's, but I'm sure I'll provide some "what not to dos" after I've done them. lol

3/4", but it's actually surprisingly light.

I would use a light vinegar solution to get rid of the coralline, then a mild bleach solution to get rid of any pathogens. Follow that with a clean rinse and air dry before filling it up and it should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom