Need a suggestions please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need a fish to help with my algae, I'm hesitant on a pleco because of the waste they produce. However, due to the size of my current stock, I need a fish that's 2.5+ inches. Also, it it's be a peaceful/community fish.

It doesn't really need to clean up extra food, just algae, because, unfortunately, my tank gets some sunlight, but it's the only location I can put my 55 gallon.

My current stock is 2 med-large angels, 2 mid-large ropefish, pair of German blue rams, and a pair of African butterfly's.

I had tried a couple mystery snails, but the angels kept going after them.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404176997.458777.jpg

Angels usually will ignore Otos, but if your other fish are big enough to eat them then you can go with a true siamese algae eater. Get at least 3 of them (ideally 6) since they like company of their own kind.

Thank you for the replies. I do have a background (with side) on the tank to block out as much light as possible.

As far as ottos, I'm pretty sure my ropes would eat them, so I'd rather not risk it.

I have thought 2 to 4 Siamese algae eaters would be great. I'm just worried about not getting the real thing. In addition to the fact that no lfs's near me sell them, I've never bought a fish offline.

I may see if I can get one of the lfs's to order one or see about buying them online.
Anyone know where I can get a true Siamese Algea Eater online?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the replies. I do have a background (with side) on the tank to block out as much light as possible.

As far as ottos, I'm pretty sure my ropes would eat them, so I'd rather not risk it.

I have thought 2 to 4 Siamese algae eaters would be great. I'm just worried about not getting the real thing. In addition to the fact that no lfs's near me sell them, I've never bought a fish offline.

I may see if I can get one of the lfs's to order one or see about buying them online.
Anyone know where I can get a true Siamese Algea Eater online?

I think Liveaquaria carries them. You should get more than one if you do. They are social.

Algae Control

Hello henn...

Any of the Livebearing fish will eat it as will Corydoras. I keep a lot of floating plants in my tanks. Anacharis is especially useful for controlling algae. Large, frequent water changes remove excess nutrients. I've found removing most of the nitrates and phosphates from the water through an aggressive water change routine does a much better job of controlling algae than anything else.

B

Water changes and limiting the photo period will do lots if you aren't already.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom