Need Advice for what Fish to get in a 40 gallons Hex tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcamp41

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I had a 55 gallon long cichlid tank 5 years ago but got divorced and let the tank go. So I’m not totally "fish dumb". I was offered a 40 gallon hex tank/stand and set up for free. I took it knowing that hex tanks are not ideal for fish. However, I was hoping there might be some species that could thrive in this shape. The tank was rather dirty so I cleaned it with vinegar water. It now looks decent. I trashed all of her accessories and am starting fresh. I bought an Aqueon 06079 quietflow 55/75 power filter 400-gph. I bought 20 lbs. of small gravel. I am about to start my cycling and have decided to do a cycle with fish. Only because I live in Wisconsin and my parents have small pond goldfish who would appreciate being in my tank vs. a garbage barrel in the basement. I am just going to use two small ones to get me started. I would like to do live plants. Can anyone advise when I would introduce the live plants to the tank? The other advice I am looking for is what is the best fish to keep in a hex tank? I was hoping to have a pair of something. I was originally thinking angles, but I was told the best way to have angles is to get 6 and when they pair keep the pair.. Not sure what I would do with the rest after I achieve one pair? I also don't have a big enough tank in my mind to have 6 fish at one time. Also I only want two fish and don’t ever want to have to deal with babies... Any advice is appreciated. :thanks:

You wouldn't have to start with 6 angels. Just get two you like and let them mature. Maybe you'll get a pair and maybe not but it doesn't mean if they aren't a pair that they can't co-exist. If you get a pair even if they spawn rarely will you get babies in a community tank. And if you would they most likely would all get eaten. I keep 12 adult angels in a 220g community tank and in 2 years no live fry have ever out lived being eaten.

Instead of Angels you could do a pair or trio of Pearl Gourami's. They are nice sized and would do well in that shaped tank.

Other fish that would work with either of the above would be many of the smaller, non nippy tetra's like Neons, Cardinals, Rummynose, or Kerri's. Purple or regular Harlequin Rasbora's. A pair of German Blue Rams after the tank has matured about 4 months as they don't do well in newer setups that don't have stable parameters. Cherry barbs would be another good choice.

Then Cory cats or Kuhli loaches for the bottom.

So you think I would be able to keep some small community fish in addition to two 6" fish be it either Gouramis or Angles in a 40 gallon?

So you think I would be able to keep some small community fish in addition to two 6" fish be it either Gouramis or Angles in a 40 gallon?

Yup. It is forty gallons of water after all. It may not be an ideal shape but the volume is there. Pick a pair of adult angels out at the store. Just look at them really carefully and pick out an obvious male and an obvious female. Some angels you can't tell with but if there are 20 of them in the tank at the store you're sure to find a male and female that stand out. Males have a more pronounced forehead and females have a more feminine slanting forehead. Not always, mind you, but enough of the time that if you're looking at a tank full of adults, you can pick a pair.

Absolutely! Just stick with species that don't like a lot of running room like Danio's would.

Another good bottom level fish would be Dwarf Chain Loaches.

126037d1381869257t-adding-1-2-new-angels-sexing-angelfish1.png

img_2756077_1_e5090ad68b2191b13dcd4ef52a3540fe.jpg

This may help you sex adult angels at the store.

Back
Top Bottom