need advice on my Otocinclus algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
My son wanted an algae eater so I went to the lps and purchased the one they advised me to get because he only gets 2 inches we purchased the algae wafers and brought him home. I put him in a 30 gallon with my other fish and after doing a little research on this certain algae eater I'm afraid he won't make it. he doesn't like the wafers we have and I know there isn't enough algae in the tank. I also think he might be a certain type of schooling fish ( don't know if that's the correct term) he has to be starving he's starting to eat the fish food at feeding time. He comes to the top of the tank. Is this unusual? Is there something I can purchase a plant maybe that he could eat on or is there something I can do? I read that this algae eaters are picky and only eat a certain type of algae that most people don't have in there aquariums so I'm at a loss on what to do. any advice??

I do not have any myself, but I think you can feed them cucumbers and zucchini and stuff like that. Blanch it first to soften it.

Otos are cool title fish.

Use to have a few myself, mine had a variety of food to choose from in the tank including courgette, algae, algae wafers and some others.

They did used to eat the flakes but spat em out soon after and went for a munch of courgette lol :D

I just put some lettuce in the tank. Hes strated to attach to my fish! I've got to figure something out

Otos are schooling fish, he's probably very uncomfortable in new surroundings without members of his own species.

They are also sensitive and deaths within the first month are not uncommon.

They will only eat other foods when there's absolutely no natural algae form for them. Personally, I think you should return him if you're not able or willing to provide him with buddies.

I had no clue they were schooling fish! Ugh makes me so mad at lps! They told me he'd be fine alone....I'll go today or now haha to get him some friends. Poor little guy...how many would you suggest? Is 3 total enough?

I have 4 in a 29g and they are always on either the side of the tank, on the live plants, or on the driftwood. I've had them for several months and they are very happy. Gotta have more than one. He may be eating off the wafer when you aren't looking.

I have never had an otto try to attach on a fish. You may have a Chinese algae eater they will definitely try to attach to fish and really don't eat algae and get much bigger than 2". pic's would help here

It sounds like chinese algae eaters to me too. I bought 4 and then did my research and found that they will attach to other fish and eventually cause death. Needless to say, I returned them to the fish store and thats when I got my otos. Look on the internet for pix of chinese algae eaters and otos. Its pretty easy to tell the difference. If it is a chinese, you might consider returning it.

Chinese algae eaters get 12" long! I purchased one as an "Algae Eater" told he would be fine in my first overstocked 10g tank with 8 other fish.
Whoops! Rehomed.,

This little booger is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a pic of

ForumRunner_20120110_172728.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom