Need An Explanation of Plant Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to start experimenting with aquascaping and live plants but I know little to nothing. I have high lighting on a 10g (LED lights) with only a Betta, some gravel and a volcano. I want to plant something in it so it doesn't look so dead. I really like grass looking things. I know I need substrate but I don't know about seeding or anything. I just wanna try to my hand at it. Also, how much would it cost? Also I want a red/black theme with plants.

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta
3g currently cycling

1st question is what light exactly do you have?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just because a light looks bright doesn't mean much at all. Also "LED" is a very general explanation of your light. If it is a stock led lid it's probably low light.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I doubt it's any decent then. Low light plants like anubias, Java fern, hornwort. Did you want to increase your lighting?

It is a stock lid

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

In the planted world, high lighting is like double/triple bulb units or 2 led strips. It's a lot more than I bet you have or care to spend the money on.

As far as grassy plants go... You are probably thinking of dwarf hair grass. It is far from a beginner plant. Most carpeting plants need a lot of light and co2. If you wanted to try your hand at an easier "carpeting" plant. I would suggest Staurogyne Repens. They are not too difficult. With some DIY co2 and some fertilizers I'm sure they would be just fine.

If all that overwhelms you then we need to take a step back. There is plenty of low light plants that don't even need co2 (though it's always helpful).

Water sprite
Java moss(tie to rock or DW)
Christmas moss
Anubias(not planted)
Java Fern (not planted)
Bacopa caroliniana
Some Cryptocoryne species(root tabs)
Amazon swords(root tabs)

Hand slipped and hit reply, will resume my post. Please hold.

Ludwigia Repens(reddish plant)

Wisteria

Hornwort (not planted, hold down or float)

All of those plants will grow with simple fertilizers and some root tabs. Easy peasy if you have a decent light. Finnex is a great brand for planted tank lighting and is on the cheaper side while still holding quality over quantity. I have a 48 inch planted plus myself.

The plants that are not planted can be tied down to rocks or driftwood and feed off the nutrients in the water.

What are root tabs? Root tabs are used by heavy root feeding plants. They take in most of their nutrients through of course the root system. You just bury the tablet underneath the required plant once every 1-2 months.

Fertilizers and co2 is where the money comes in with planted tanks$$$$$ if this is a small tank under 20g I recommend just using liquid ferts. (API Leaf Zone and Flourish + Excel) 30+ gallons I recommend dry fertilizers like PPS Pro. Dry ferts are much more cost effective because larger doses for larger tanks.

There is TONS of DIY videos on YouTube of co2 using yeast and stuff. I'm not going to go into detail with it.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you! I tried to be as simple as possible.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Is this a marineland kit? If not what kit is it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Elaborate?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

You know those twisty light bulbs for you house? Take a standard reading lamp, throw a twisty light in there, and place it pointing down the top of the aquarium and remove the existing lid/light. I'd use 2 of these though but I've had success growing a variety of plants like that.

Would that give me high lighting?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

It's a good start. And a cheap alternative. You really don't need to go high lighting when just starting plants or you could end up with a tank overgrown with algae.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I just started with plants myself and so far have been super satisfied with the finnex stingray LED. It's low/medium light, cost me $40 which isn't that much more than a stock hood. It was recommended to me by another user here (tiger terror). Might be good for what you're trying to do.

Back
Top Bottom