Need bio cube help?? I'm your guy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarinlove

Aquarium Advice Activist
I hope this worked. I took 4 pictures of my tank today. I had an amazing amount of coralline, and I had an asternia star attack. Fortunately that is now taken care of and the growth is coming back again.

I have had my tank for two years now and have gone through everything. Algae blooms, cyano bacteria, death with fish, dying coral, overheating water, etc. I have also had an amazing amount of success now that I have had this tank for two years.

I will tell you where I am at right now with the tank.

I currently have:

Aquatic life T5 HO light-96 watt with lunar led lights
Panorama led module (blue) to help pop the corals and fish
Refugium in the middle chamber of the tank
ORA raised clownfish
ORA raised purple orchid dottyback
Two peppermint shrimp
Blue and Red legged hermits
Margarita snails

As far as my coral goes, I am slowly trying to make the switch to SPS coral and as I am getting more experienced.

I am currently in an apartment and cannot have a big tank until my wife and i get a house in a few years.

Anyway, I can tell you all about my filtration system and how I have not had any algae blooms or cyano outbreaks in over a year.

Ask me anything.

Attachments

• DSC_0001 2.jpg
    DSC_0001 2.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC_0002 2.jpg
    DSC_0002 2.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC_0003 2.jpg
    DSC_0003 2.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC_0004 2.jpg
    DSC_0004 2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 449
Nice setup. I have the same blue brain coral. How do you feed it and how exactly do you feed yours?

So this rods food is supposed to feed everything in my tank and I wouldn't have to feed it anything else?

I'm impressed with the assortment of corals and colors. What size BioCube?

Looks great. You said you use rod's. I just got rod's the other day. Only fed once. How do you do it? Just let it free float? Are you taking bigger parts out?
Do you test for mg? if so, what do you keep it at?

As far as the Rod's food goes, I take RO water into a cup and let the Rod's food break up in the water. Then I take a turkey baster and shoot the corals with it directly. Some of the food floats in the water, but my invertebrates and fish will take care of the rest.

In the first chamber I have a protein skimmer. The second chamber I have turned into a refugium by removing the "floors" in the chamber so it has more room. The fuge has cheato algae and live rock with a jbj nano LED light. The fuge also has some chemi pure in a bag as well.

JBJ Nano Glo LED Refugium Light | MarineAndReef

Then on the top of the fuge I have an egg crate with a filter pad on top first, so the water hits the pad before going into the fuge. The third chamber I have a heater and some purigen to help with the clearness of the water.

I also have two koralia power heads to help with the water movement. This set has been perfect for my tank.

overheating 14 gal. Salt..

:fish2::fish2:our 2 clown, and1 puffer,1 golby fish are really hot in this bio-cube. we have even taken the heater out and lowered the temp. in the room. any advice. The temp. is at 88.9. And their is allot red algie everywhere, and a small amout green algie. Coral are dying. We got this tank used and don't know how old the lights are she said to change them in July. I don't know if the lights have a cooler fan in them or not this is our first salt tank. The cleaner srimp died. The lights are on a 8 hour timmer, 8am-8pm and when it first comes the fans make a weird loud noise.

bj a.a consider a shorter light cycle, perhaps around 6 hours a day. Also if you've got the extra $ a chiller would probably be your best bet. As an immediate fix i've heard of putting a bag of ice next to/touching the glass

uh.oh... said:
bj a.a consider a shorter light cycle, perhaps around 6 hours a day. Also if you've got the extra $ a chiller would probably be your best bet. As an immediate fix i've heard of putting a bag of ice next to/touching the glass

Thank you we will try that, but how do we get the red algae off the coral? So how do we get to the cooling fan?

Run fans over the water...get a chiller if need be. If this is the metal halide one it gets hot.

Also get a bunch of bottles of frozen water and put them in the tank with cap on. When one gets melted, take it out put in the freeze and add the other. Keep the heater in set to 76 or so just in case the ice gets it real cold.

Back
Top Bottom