need help ASAP on newly added 6 line wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just added a 6 line on friday i acclimated him for an 1 1/4 hours and half way through it he kinda stopped moving. now figured he just was chilling cause thats how my LMB was when i got him a week earlier. well i added him and he kinda wiggled to a little cave and chilled there for the rest of the nitenot doing too much breathing and only moved his eyes to look around, my lights were off but i turned on my regular house lights every so often to check on him. now i woke up the next day and he was doing the same thing and i started to worry that he was dead.. well i went to work and came home, lights still off, and when i turned them on he was swimming but very clumsily and chasing his reflection... i also noticed that he was skimming the bottom of the substrate with his belly while he swam back and forth and was going up and down like a bobber. but after i left my lights on for a while he went and chilled back in the cave where he was at. well i went to bed and woke up and he was in the same cave and breathing hard and not swimming at all. I also noticed that he had this little bit of slime that was stuck on him, i dont know what it was but i suctioned it off of him and the substrate with a turkey baster and put it in a cup well he seemed a little relieved but spooked at the same time, and swam to a new cave... well i went to work with him in the new cave and came back and he was still there. and yet again had this slime like substance on him... now i dont know if it is coming from him or if he is swimming in a cave that has it and it is getting it attacked to him. but this time it was a bit more and i had to use my fingers and pick him up and take it off of him. now he is still alive and swam around clumsily but went back to the cave and sure enough got it on him again. but he hasn't acted right since i got him. i got it from my lfs who has been in business for 15 years and is well trusted to it shouldnt have a disease so could this be just from shock? did i acclimate him too fast? me and my lfs use the same salt and keep the same temp. also what to you think this slime is?

Wrasses are supposed to be tricky in acclimating. I just added a flasher wrasse on friday. I took about 30 min floating the bag and then about an hour (maybe a little more) with water acclimation. He seems to be doing alright now (once the 2 damsels get used to him). Anyway here is a link to faq's about wrasses...

www.saltwaterfish.com says that Wrasses: Lay on their side when in bag or acclimating; may spin harmless cottony substance in bag and "play dead".

HTH http://www.wetwebmedia.com/wrasfdgfaqs.htm

I moved my lunare wrasse to a bigger tank yesterday. While he was in the bucket, he layed on his side acting dead. I think they are just drama queens.

Do you recall what fish the wrasse was housed with at the LFS and any oddities there?

Cheers
Steve

it was pretty much clear and looked like a lougy, some sort of mucous and was all over him and like slimed him to this rock. and he wasn't moving. at the lfs i cant remember correctly but he might have been with either a banggai card or a maroon clown in a bare bottom tank nothing special =) but get this after i blew him with the power head and sucked up the rest of the mucous he started swimming around and again and rubbing his belly and sides against the sand. keep in mind i sucked up about the same amound a day before and he swam around for a minute like this then went to a new cave and got it on him again. but this time he calmed down after a few minutes and went to new hole that my LMB chills in and they shared it for a few minutes then my LMB being the gentle giant he is he let him have it. now i left the lights off overnight and checked up on him the following morning. when i turned on the lights it took me a minute to find him and i thought he might have jumped but i looked in the cave a bit deeper and he was just chilling for a minute but then he came out to show his gratitude. he quickly flashed out his cave and swam the quickest figure 8's in around up and down all my caves. i got soooo happy i went and prepped him some food. when i went to feed my fish the clowns of course came right up to the baster like they always do so i shot some food at them and after a few seconds the wrasse seeing the clowns darts out and wolfs down a huge chunk of food and then raced back to his cave. and did this repeatedly untill he was stuffed. but best of all he is up and seemily fine, swimming around more and making quick darts back and forth. man what a releif i thought he was a dead man walking for sure

Great News!!! I love to hear good news every once and a while. Keep a close eye on him....I know you will. :wink:

Keep an eye on the wrasse and tank mates, it sounds an awful lot like Brooklynella.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Keep an eye on the wrasse and tank mates, it sounds an awful lot like Brooklynella.

Cheers
Steve

sorry but im not familiar with brookylnella, can u fill me in...

Back
Top Bottom