Need help cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great

Glad I was the first to see the post :) Great job, congratulations...and thanks for doing a fishless cycle! Enjoy your fish! I know they're going to enjoy your aquarium.

enjoy the fish!!!

Ok so 2 days 10% WC to bring Ammonia back down followed by 2 days of stability again. I am pretty sure that it is a result of too many fish too fast. During those 2 days the ammonia didn't quite get to .25ppm but I was changing water to be safe. As soon as I find the charger for my camera I'll post some pics.

Tiwaz said:
Ok so 2 days 10% WC to bring Ammonia back down followed by 2 days of stability again. I am pretty sure that it is a result of too many fish too fast. During those 2 days the ammonia didn't quite get to .25ppm but I was changing water to be safe. As soon as I find the charger for my camera I'll post some pics.

How many and what kind did you add?

Tiwaz said:

I'm interested to hear more details on the questions Deckape asked...but at this point I'd have to lean towards our friends who made the instant cycling products being responsible for this. I'll be following :).

There are
10 Tiger barbs
6 Black skirt tetras
2 Gold skirt tetras

The gold skirts and 2 of the blacks were moved in from my old 5 gallon tank where they have been for the last 3 years so they are about 2" long the rest are from the store and are 1" or so.

eco23 said:
I'm interested to hear more details on the questions Deckape asked...but at this point I'd have to lean towards our friends who made the instant cycling products being responsible for this. I'll be following :).

Sounds like what happened to me. Cycle crash

Tiwaz said:
There are
10 Tiger barbs
6 Black skirt tetras
2 Gold skirt tetras

The gold skirts and 2 of the blacks were moved in from my old 5 gallon tank where they have been for the last 3 years so they are about 2" long the rest are from the store and are 1" or so.

You cycled the tank at 4ppm ammo, right? Those fish should be absolutely no problem for a tank fishless cycled at that ammonia level. It wouldn't have blinked an eye.

Unless you've made any changes like switching filter media, removing decorations, etc...the problem seems rather obvious :-(

I'm afraid you're another example of the "instant cycling" products being far less than stable. Trust me when I say you're not the first example I've heard of that this happened to after adding it. Hopefully everything will balance out as the actual nitrifying bacteria tries to get a hold in the tank (I'd stop adding the bottled stuff). I hope if you hear people on the site thinking about using these products, you'll share your experience. Sorry dude.

I'm sure you know the routine...but check out this guide to help you out if you need it, keep us updated.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

I made some small changes to the tank, but nothing that I thought would have a negative effect.
I added some more plants and brought back the driftwood that's was in before. The driftwood has been soaking since I took it out and has stopped leaching tannins.
The only other addition was some Rena foam filter media that I cut and placed in front of the filter intake on the background as one of the gold skirts got sucked into the intake screen, so the foam is just there to stop that from happening again.
I will continue to test the water daily for the week at least to see if this was just a hiccup or ?
But I also want to make it clear that the ammonia levels were only enough to add just a touch of green to the yellow that would be 0ppm.

Last edited:
Looks like you are stable then. Keep testing for a few more days just to be sure, but from here it looks like you got the right help at just the right time.

Tiwaz said:
Again no change today

Ammonia 0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 10ppm
pH 6.8
temp 75

I would dose it up to 3 or 4 ppm and see if it completely processes into nitrates in 24 hrs
Edit: assuming this is fishless

Ignore my last post. I didn't remember the situation well. Looks like everything is good now! Just add fish a few a week. Good luck

Like I said before I will continue to test daily for the next while. I would guess that if I continue to mantain stable readings for a week it should be ok?
As for addtional stocking I am only thinking of a group of up to 6 angels but probably only 4, plus some more plants and maybe another piece of DW.Regardless I want the tank to run for at least a month before I add anything else.

Tiwaz said:
Like I said before I will continue to test daily for the next while. I would guess that if I continue to mantain stable readings for a week it should be ok?
As for addtional stocking I am only thinking of a group of up to 6 angels but probably only 4, plus some more plants and maybe another piece of DW.Regardless I want the tank to run for at least a month before I add anything else.

Yea That sounds good on the cycle but I don't know about angel fish. Someone else can chime in on those guys. Good luck

img_1391206_0_6671c5ecde1654d2e675971ba53a519a.jpg

Quick pic from tonight. If I can figure out video upload I'll post one as well.

Tiwaz said:
Quick pic from tonight. If I can figure out video upload I'll post one as well.

Very nice. You gotta help me now. How can I make my tank as nice as yours?

Back
Top Bottom