Need help from the pro's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidkameleon3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well for about 2-3 weeks I noticed a slow pull back in the health of my tank.At first I thought it was just one zoo colony then when everyhting else started closing I got worried. Even just the other day I added some yellow zoo's and the where open day 1 and now they are closed almost 24/7.Fish seem fine as well as anenome's , shimp.Mostly zoo's and corals that look booty.

I tested for ammonia,nitri, nitra salnity *(thought that was it for a few). So I am like well maybe every other week 5 gallon or so change isn't enough for a 55 ? (is it?).

Now for my suspect issues (please add some if I need to check or look into it)

1) I got a rose and purple tiped haitian anenome about 2 weeks ago, could they be chemical warefaring each other and causing the tank to go down hill?

2) Guy at one store mentioned iodine.Being that I have so many zoo's ect.. So I ordered a test kit off line and I already had some iodine so just waiting to check that.

3) In the indentify forum I posted a pick that came back to be flat worms.Dude mentioned that when they get out of control and die they put off a toxin that could harm my coral's etc... I mean there is a few dozen or so on my front glass , and now that he mentioned it I noticed them pretty heavy on some of my rock .Think this might be it?

checked tds also 380ppm, salanity 1.024 , all others 0

What is might I need to look into. The use of carbon or lack there of couldn;t casue this could it?

Thanx ahead of time

jake

1) I got a rose and purple tiped haitian anenome about 2 weeks ago, could they be chemical warefaring each other and causing the tank to go down hill?
They could be..

2) Guy at one store mentioned iodine.Being that I have so many zoo's ect.. So I ordered a test kit off line and I already had some iodine so just waiting to check that.
Doubtful if you are doing regular water changes that you could be having problems with Iodine..

3) In the indentify forum I posted a pick that came back to be flat worms.Dude mentioned that when they get out of control and die they put off a toxin that could harm my coral's etc... I mean there is a few dozen or so on my front glass , and now that he mentioned it I noticed them pretty heavy on some of my rock .Think this might be it?
This Is most likely going to be your culprit.. I would do a major water change and run carbon like a MOFO..

Siphon out all the Flatworms that you can see and use Saliferts Flatworm Exit to kill off the rest.. Make sure you siphon them out good.. They are toxic and can wipe out a tank if in mass numbers..

HTH<
James

thanx I was unaware of this.I wish I would have done somethign when it was only a few

edit:What do they look like when they are bigger the only ones I see are little red/orange match head sized ones?

Well I am in the proccess of ordering some of the exit stuff.Do you htink that adding a fresh carbon might help until I can get the stuff in?

edit again: (obsessed much) How about water changes ? Just a waste of time and salt or worth while until it gets here? I was thinking a 5 gallon every other day?

It might but I would at least do a really good water change... The flat worms are only Toxic when they die from my understanding... You could have had a few of them die off that is slightly affecting the other stuff... Water change and carbon should help out.. Make sure you siphon out all those flatworms after you dose FE.. Otherwise you might have more issues...

Carbon and Water changes will help alot... Remember The solution to polution is dilution.. LOL

James

5 gal. water changes are a waste of time IMO. You should do 15-25% water changes for it to have any overall effect.

I just did about a 20% and added some carbon. I also ordered the exit kit and 2 l-bows of some carbon. Liveaquaria is having a hell of a sale on it.I'll keep everyone updated I am sure;)

Back
Top Bottom