Need help getting started please !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Jonk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just decided to take up aquariums as a hobby ... I've got a 36 Gallon Bow Front tank. I intend on having a freshwater setup. I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could tell me what type/brand/specification of filters etc. I would need for my tank. I really have little knowledge about what else I would need for the tank before I go out to get fish. Approximate prices would be an added bonus for me :)

You have definately found the right site - when we bought our tank we were desperate to put fish in - but luckily we found this site and just read through the questions already asked and learned so much.

Hi Brian_Jonk,

There are many good filters out there. The best for your needs may depend on the amount of space you have (in or around your tank). I can't tell you about what you need or which is the best choice for you.

However, what I can tell you is that I have a 35G tank and I use a Fluval 304 (Canister style filter). It does a great job, it's easy to clean and find replacement filter media and I have not had any problems with it.

I hope this helps.

Canister is probably best. I agree with targaboy...the Fluvals are good filters. If you prefer a hang on back power filter, the Emperor is the best one. A 280 would probably do it, but I'd go ahead and get the 400. On the subject of the Fluvals, I have one of the older ones...I guess it's about 8 years old. Still runs like a new one and the only times it's been shut down is for cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom