NEED HELP!!!! on a new aquarium!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lslover0127

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I would like to first introuce myself and my situation. My name is Derek and have just purchased my new aquarium; a 220 gallon, 96in*25in*25in aquarium which I am planning to put on a headboard that is roughly 11 feet long. It's beautiful. Any way I need some help setting it up and I would appreciate any advice you all could provide. Now first of all let me tell you want I know I am going to get. I will go purchase a protein skimmer (CPR backpak 2), a live cured Fiji Rock (50 pound), araganite sand, heaters, and finally Halide lights (400 watt). Now to talk about what I have problems with. I was talking to a freind of mine who told me I should invest in a sump but I don't know exactly where I would put one if I have the acquarium on the headboard (obviously it can't go under the bed). So what should I do: should I get a sump and work my heaters and skimmer through that or should I get a wet/dry filter system. Next I want to get a UV sterilization system, what advice do you all have on that? For my salt water tank do you all recommend a RO (reverse osmosis system)? And finanlly, my last dilemma is whether or not to try to make the cycle go faster by using Fritz Turbo Start or whether to let the cycle mature naturally giving it 2 months. Thank you all in advance for any information you might provide and please feel free to give any advice for any equiment I might have left out that would be good to include in my aquarium.
Sincerely, Derek

I will go purchase a protein skimmer (CPR backpak 2)

This is not nearly enough skimmer for this tank, about the largest tank I would recommend this skimmer for is a 55 FOWLR, for a reef...a 30g tank is as big as I would recommend. Even if you did use one, it would be a pain. on a normally stocked 220g you would probably have to dump the collection cup twice per day.

I should invest in a sump but I don't know exactly where I would put one if I have the acquarium on the headboard

I would recommend a sump for that large a tank, if your going to invest that kind of money....you will want to hide all the equipment, a sump is the perfect place. As to where...it could easily be placed in a cabinet beside the bed that could double as a bedside table.

Next I want to get a UV sterilization system, what advice do you all have on that?

UV sterilizers and their use in aquaria

For my salt water tank do you all recommend a RO (reverse osmosis system)?

Yes, tap and well water has a tendency to add unwanted elements to your tank. If your going to use halides, unless you have exceptional water, your going to have a forrest of hair algae using tap water.

And finanlly, my last dilemma is whether or not to try to make the cycle go faster by using Fritz Turbo Start or whether to let the cycle mature naturally giving it 2 months.

Well I was going to recommend this anyway, instead of using something to jump start the cycle, simply use more LR. For a 220g, your going to want between 220 and 330 lbs of LR. You can save money by using a 1/2 or 2/3 base rock and the rest LR. The LR will cycle the tank for you, although I would also recommend cycling with a couple of raw cocktail shrimp.

Thanks kevin for the reply. So far I have decided to go with the Aquac EV 240 skimmer. I just had one more question, Is the refegium just like a sump?

Everything reefrunner said. You may also want to look at gettind a DSB to help out with foltration.

mmmmmmmmmm shrimp! :lol:
I would keep reading if I were you islover0127. There are some really great forums that you can learn alot from just reading them. You have plenty of time for cycling that huge tank.

i wouldnt use a dsb only use 2 inches of sand and put the dsb in the sump/refugium

I would use a refugium over a sump.. I have a 29G refugium for my 45 Gallon tank and love it. It keeps your pH in check, even at night, plus helps out your alk because of the plants consuming carbon in the water.. which if left alone it turns into carbonic acid, which messes with the alk and pH. Plus you can grow food there for the main tank fish.. no predators in a refugium. heck if you felt truly moved you could even stick in a sea horse.. but since your most likely hiding the thing.. you won't see the guy often :p

Back
Top Bottom