Need help, this is it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok wife will buy FX5 today from LFS or I can get a few other non fish related things.

My question is. I have a 75 gallon over stocked. I have about 35-40 African cichlids 2 catfish (cuckoo), 1 upside down catfish and a red tailed shark.

I'm running 2 AC 110's and do WC sometimes 2x a week. Test water everyday and feed every other day.

Do I really NEED to have her spend the money? If its not a total " you need it or your doomed!" maybe I'll get something else.

Oh I also have 2 Rena 300 pumps running a wand and a 4" round stone at the end.

Do I pull the trigger? I'm for honest opinions I know the FX5 is killer but will I benefit at all from it? As far as water changes or anything else? I do 2x a week already so will it cut that back? I don't mind doing them.

I'm more asking because I know I'm over stocked but I believe that if I'm on top o the tank I'll be ok. I'm very committed to my fish an tank.

Thanks

Dino.

EDIT:

LFS closes at 6pm.

Last edited:
Hi i think the old saying kicks in here - if it aint broke why fix it?
Yes the FX5 is helluva bit of kit,and would do a great job,but as you are getting perfect readings then that would suggest all is OK(y) I do not know the filters you are using so cannot comment on them:oops:
Footnote :- if your readings are perfect then you are not overstocked in my opnion:fish2:

stingrays4 said:
Hi i think the old saying kicks in here - if it aint broke why fix it?
Yes the FX5 is helluva bit of kit,and would do a great job,but as you are getting perfect readings then that would suggest all is OK(y) I do not know the filters you are using so cannot comment on them:oops:
Footnote :- if your readings are perfect then you are not overstocked in my opnion:fish2:

Well thank you so much for response. Most people tell me I'm overstocked. But yes, like you said I have no water issues. I do my WC's sometime 2x a week but my ammonia is NEVER above .25ppm and my Nitrates are usually anywhere from 5.0-20ppm and my Nitrites are always 0ppm.

Also have 12 Anubias in my tank. Seems to be the only plant they leave alone.

Last edited:
Hi your welcome(y) yes anubius a very hardy plant:) so are you going to get the FX5 or get something else?
Now its 9pm* here lfs shut nearly five hours ago:(
One way of improving filter performance without getting a new filter is to use some sintered glass media such as eheims efhisubstrate expensive but worth it:)

stingrays4 said:
Hi your welcome(y) yes anubius a very hardy plant:) so are you going to get the FX5 or get something else?
Now its 9pm* here lfs shut nearly five hours ago:(
One way of improving filter performance without getting a new filter is to use some sintered glass media such as eheims efhisubstrate expensive but worth it:)

I never heard of that media before and I'm still thinking about the FX5 if I REALLY don't need it then maybe I'll just get some other things instead.

Hi if you fancy it then why not go for it(y)
Most makers of external filters make there own version of it. Its basically a very porous media with a very large surface area for bacteria to colonise:) i believe its is made of a kind of glass? Looks clay like?:)

I would get it but not at your LFS unless they have amazon prices, I've seen them for around 300ish while you can get it on amazon for around 200 plus free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom