need help to get rid of staghorn algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitchwheelz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been getting massive amounts of staghorn algae in my tank and I need some advice as to how I should go about getting rid of it for good.

staghorn algae comes from ammonia spikes . clean your filters , water change and dose excel

Can we get a full tank rundown? It's not really practical to diagnose a problem without knowing critical things like light, photoperiod, ferts, CO2, etc.

Also, can we get a picture of this algae? Many types of thread algae are often misidentified as staghorn.

OK I have a top fin 15 gallon aquarium. With mostly java fern but also a little bit of cardinal plant. I am dosing api brand leaf zone and. Co2 booster (although I have been lazy about it recently which is probably the reason I have as much as I do) as recommended by the bottles. And the lights run from 8 am to 9pm I had flourite substrate at the time of the post but I recently got rid of most of it to switch to sand. As for the staghorn at the moment, I cleared most of it off but the remaining strands have turned a reddish orange color. I will post a picture of the tank now and I will post another if it ever comes back...

Pictures

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130827_171651.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_171651.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20130827_171704.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_171704.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom