Need Help Transplanting Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I've currently have a 50G tank that looks wonderful, Problem I now have a 75G tank that is empty and a new 304 canister filter to replace the HOB filter I'm using now.

I was looking to try and transfer my 5 very healthy amazon sword plants that have grown in a fairly basic rock sub strata. Over to the new tank and was wondering what I might need to watch out for, tips on removing the plants from the current tank without draining it as the 50G is going to stay running with fish in it till I can get the new 75G running and cycled and even then the fish will be going over shortly.

For the new tank I'm looking to use a combo of eco-complete straight out of the bag and was going to crush a half bag of it down, mix it together and then put it in the tank a few inches deep.

I'm looking to do this in 2 weeks so any tips would be helpful. I just really don't want to damage to much of the root structure of my swords. I'm not worried about any other plants I have in the tank as most of them will be replanted from the healthiest clippings from my current tank.

This was taken about 4-5 days ago
tanksmall.jpg

Ok, well, a 75g tank will need 7-8 bags of eco complete for a correct depth sandbed. From reading your post, I wasn't sure if you accounted for enough bags.
I wouldn't even worry about crushing some up. eco complete is a perfect substrate, right from the bag. "No assembly required" :)

AS for transplanting, here's what I personally would do.

1. carefully uproot the plant...just your fingers in a lifting motion around the base and roots.
2. once removed, you can trim the roots back to about 3-4" of roots. this makes planting easier, and makes the sword re-establish itself
3. optional - of the swords I've owned, I find the crown usually splits over a few months. if you're gentle, you can detangle the roots of the grown and split it into multiple plants.
4. in the new tank, if you put a root tab directly under the newly planted sword, it'll be extra happy. i make my own root tabs, but the ones by SeaChem work well too, just pricey to use them frequently.

The same procedure works for transplanting crypts, and the root tab helps minimize 'crypt melting'

One tip I learned about swords, is that they form a bulb at the base (probably won't apply to yours because they are still small), which if removed will generally give the plants a boost. The bulb can be planted and will generate 1 or more new swords. Apparently, the presence of the bulb will slow growth. It is a good way to rejuvenate a sword that seems to have stalled.

Swords can have big root systems. I've found that it helps to cut around the plant with a plastic knife or scraper a few inches out from the plant before trying to pull it up, so that it doesn't pull up everything else in the tank.

7Enigma said:
Malkore,

Can you give away that special plant tab recipe? Or is it a family secret? :)

Its really no secret. YOu just get some powdered clay (like from www.plantguild.com) and then mix in either PMDD pre-mix, or plantex CSM, or a little homegrown recipe if you like. Basically a 50/50 mix of clay to fert.
Add enuf water to make a thick toothpaste like mud, then roll em into a little ball, and then let them air dry. I baked mine int he oven on 200F for 30 mins to help quick cure them.

plantguild also sells a whole kit (as does aquariumplants.com ) which isn't a bad way to get instructions and a couple of fancier tools, but its not required.

Thank all for the help. I've seen people mention trimming the roots down before but I've never done more then clip off dead or broken roots when planting new. I've split my swords before. The two on the left were split when I first got them. Was a nice surprise to see when I first planted them. I need to split the center plant again I'm sure.

Thanks for the info on the echo-complete. I only have 3 bags. I think I'll head out and grab anther 3. I've read the stickies and a few other post so I think I'm going to go with a 3 inch base. LFS is not that far a drive so if 6 bags won't do it I'll just head down and add more. Glad I planed to spend some money on this one.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom