Need help! White dots all over my SDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Came home to discover white dots all over my silver dollars. They seem a little less energetic than usual and staying in the lower half of the tank which is a little unusual. Is this ich??? What should I do

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131212_133042.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_133042.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20131212_133050.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_133050.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20131212_133103.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_133103.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20131212_133116.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_133116.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20131212_133134.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_133134.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 78
Your guys got Ich. Start by slowly raising the temp. Like only 1 or 2 degrees today slow.

How many fish do you have?

Do they all have white spots?

What size tank or tanks do you have?

Your guys got Ich. Start by slowly raising the temp. Like only 1 or 2 degrees today slow.

How many fish do you have?

Do they all have white spots?

What size tank or tanks do you have?

125 planted

6 SD
2 Oscar
JD
Rope fish
Tiretrack eel
Mystery snails

Sd's and one Oscar all I can tell have them.. **** bluegrass aquatics.. Never order them.

I got korden rid ich plus and in the process of dosing

Ian, that is the worst case of white spot (ich) I have ever seen!

The important thing here is to treat the whole tank as soon as possible. Each of those spots will release thousands more parasites into the water. ONLY when they are in the water can they be treated. Get hold of a reliable treatment and follow the instructions carefully.

As Brad M says, raise the temp steadily to around 80F - this speeds up the development of the white cysts so they burst sooner and release their nasties into your treated water, where they will die. It is important you complete the treatment to prevent re infestation, but remember, the fish may still have parasites in them which will hatch later, so a second treatment may be necessary.

Ian, that is the worst case of white spot (ich) I have ever seen! The important thing here is to treat the whole tank as soon as possible. Each of those spots will release thousands more parasites into the water. ONLY when they are in the water can they be treated. Get hold of a reliable treatment and follow the instructions carefully. As Brad M says, raise the temp steadily to around 80F - this speeds up the development of the white cysts so they burst sooner and release their nasties into your treated water, where they will die. It is important you complete the treatment to prevent re infestation, but remember, the fish may still have parasites in them which will hatch later, so a second treatment may be necessary.

Shoot. Well I did a 40 percent water change( nitrates were pretty high btw) and then put in the dosage of Jordan rid ich plus for my size tank. I also raised the temp to about 82 and then put in API aquarium salt

Good, good. Just watch out for bacterial infections, which can often follow an infection of ich.

Silver dollars are a fish that don't ship well a, so they are very susceptible to disease pathogens when their immune systems are compromised through stress.

How long have you had the fish?

Good, good. Just watch out for bacterial infections, which can often follow an infection of ich. Silver dollars are a fish that don't ship well a, so they are very susceptible to disease pathogens when their immune systems are compromised through stress. How long have you had the fish?
got the sd's and oscar with ich a week ago

I got 5 acei for my other 120 gallon mbuna tank and I've had 4 fish die since then! Including 2 of those acei

I got 5 acei for my other 120 gallon mbuna tank and I've had 4 fish die since then! Including 2 of those acei

With the same problem?

Are you getting the fish from the same source? If so, i wouls say you may have a case for compensation!

Got them all from bluegrass aquatics order. In the other tank I don't see the white spots. The fish just seem to be going one by one.. Just getting discolor red, heavy breathing and weaker.. Till they die.

So do we have 2 tanks with problems? Do you have extra tanks for hospitals or quarantine? Try and do a gravel vac every 6 hours if you can. This will reduce the number of eggs that will hatch and speed things up.

Do you know ichs life cycle?

I have a 46 gallon tank I'm setting up tomorrow but it won't be cycled and ready for at least a week or two. And I don't want to use an established filter from one of the other tanks to speed that up because that could spread the contamination. Also, if I gravel that will siphon water out, which means the medicine I put in will go out to, is that Alright? I read a tiny bit about it but not that well

Thank you. Got another question. It says use the korden rid ich plu once every 24 hours. But some instances use it every 12 hours. Since the fish have really bad ich should I be using it every 12? Or is that to dangerous. Also, should I do a big water change before each dosage?

You removed your carbon from your filter first right?

To be honest I bought a bunch of meds for Ich but I always end up fighting it naturally so I'm not sure if over dosing is harmful or waistful.

If your really worried do a full dose then 12 hours later a half dose and a full dose 12 hours after that.

What's going on with the other tank you said fish are just dropping?

You removed your carbon from your filter first right? To be honest I bought a bunch of meds for Ich but I always end up fighting it naturally so I'm not sure if over dosing is harmful or waistful. If your really worried do a full dose then 12 hours later a half dose and a full dose 12 hours after that. What's going on with the other tank you said fish are just dropping?

No I did not. There's fx5 eheim 2217 and rena xp3 on it. The rena had carbon in it but I thought the carbon only lasted a few weeks to a month. Tanks been up a little over a month I think. Well I just lost another one, 5 now. I have no idea what it is. I can't tell if it's bloat or not. I took some pics of the fish I'll put them up in a moment.

Heres the one that just died. Noticed it was withdrawn from the group and started turning pale a day or two agoand then just worse and worse and finally just died. I'm noticing an acei, one of the ones I put in last week from bluegrass doing the same thing now.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131212_214150.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_214150.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 59
  • ForumRunner_20131212_214201.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_214201.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20131212_214210.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_214210.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20131212_214220.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_214220.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20131212_214228.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_214228.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 48
  • ForumRunner_20131212_214237.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_214237.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 44
  • ForumRunner_20131212_214250.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_214250.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 53
Ok so carbon will absorb any chemical meds so remove it right away.

Second give me a run down of this second tank. Size stock level and your ammonia nitrites nitrates

Ok so carbon will absorb any chemical meds so remove it right away. Second give me a run down of this second tank. Size stock level and your ammonia nitrites nitrates
ok I will. It's a 120 mbuna tank. Had about 45 small fish but now I think I'm down to around 40. Ammonia and nitrites zero. Not exactly sure on the nitrates I'll test that tommorow but I've been doing water changes. Tanks been up for over two months now I think. Filtration fx6 xp4 and fluval 306. Had it stocked with over 40 juvenile mbuna for a month and a half iguess, lost 2 of them. Then added five yellow tail acei last week and have lost five since then so far

Back
Top Bottom