Need help with finishing touches.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMInskeep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got a new 50 gal upgrade switched from a 36 bf. Two problems-
1.the second hand tank has a few scratches. Any ideas or tricks on how to get rid of these? Besides sanding.

image-79435590.jpg

2. My old seaclone protien skimmer will nit fit in the little 4 inch skimmer chamber that the seaclear system two comes with. I've heard neg reviews about the seaclear protein skimmer. Anyone have any ideas or opinions on the skimmer. Or a DIY version that will work?

Hi There, and welcome to AA!

First off, is this a glass or acrylic tank? Are the scratches on the inside or outside?

As for a skimmer, have you checked out HOB models? The Aqua C Remoras seem to do well for others.

Its acrylic and there on the outside. The tank has a proprietary filter chamber system built in, I tried to make a hob prizm skimmer work but it wouldn't fit.

If it's on the outside, I'd try using Novus scratch remover:

Amazon.com: Novus 1, 2, 3 Kit Plastic Polish and Scratch Remover: Automotive

Check out the reviews and see which remover you need (you may not need all. #2 seemed to work pretty well for me to remove some light scratches). Also, I'd sand the surface using very very fine sand paper. 2000 grit+. This stuff isn't normally sold at hardware stores. You should be able to find this grade of grit at car specialty shops since this stuff is used to sand down car paint finishes etc.

I think the remoras are pretty small. Check out the dimensions and see if they'd fit in your tank.

AquaRick said:
I think the remoras are pretty small. Check out the dimensions and see if they'd fit in your tank.

I looked into it, I only have a 3.5" chamber for a skimmer, anyone have any ideas on a DIY version?

Get a hang on back skimmer. They sell some good ones that work great.

I agree, I'd go with the HOB AquaC Remora. I've used one and it pulls a ton of goop from the water column. As for the scratched, go to Walmart or Best Buy and purchase a CD/DVD scratch repair kit. It's a liquid that you apply and simply rub in and scratches will be filled in!

I have a hang on remora that I used to use for my 55g and it worked very well. I would buy another one if I need a hang on back type. :)

I myself have not had any luck with the remoras. I used a HOB deltec mce300 and it worked great

Jabibi said:
I myself have not had any luck with the remoras. I used a HOB deltec mce300 and it worked great

Is it small enough to hang on back of a system 2 chamber? The problem I'm having us that I only have 3.5" of tank rim to hang a skimmer, the smallest I've found is 4.25, and it was a nano style; only rated for 30g and under.

Honestly i dont remember the dimension of the deltec i had. You can check on marine depot for the dimensions

The good thing about the deltec ia that the pump ia imternal. The only thing that would go inside the tank is the pickup and return for the skimmer

Back
Top Bottom