Need help with my 55g please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shutson06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to this live plants in an aquarium thing. I've recently bought some plants and now some are turning colors and don't look as good. So I'm just going to start over.

Setup
55g tank
2 18" zoo Med f15t8/10 lights (Idk what watts bought everything from friend although very bright/white)
Approx 1-2 inches of substrate with sand
2 eheim ecco 2232 canisters

So my problem is I'm not sure what to get/quantity. I've looked at many websites and looked at packages for beginners but they all very so much, mainly with amount. So what would be a good setup for my 55g to be decently planted. I'm going to have schooling fish (cardinal tetras, cherry barbs & harlequin rasboras) with a centerpiece of a pair of gouramis.

With the lighting you described, you are going to have a difficult time growing any live plants in a 55 gal tank. 2 18" T8 is around 30W, and far from adequate end to end coverage on a 55.

ahh ok thanks I will get stronger lights. Would 2 80 watt light bulbs suffice?

That depends. What kind of 80W bulbs are we talking about?

I would recommend looking into a dual t5ho setup. That would grow plenty of low and medium light plants in a 55.

I would have to get new hoods right?

Are their any good lights for the hoods I have now?

No. The width of the current fixture you have is insufficient if you want to do well in keeping live plants. You would need a new fixture.

would this be a good kit?

Odyssea 48" 216W (4x 54W) T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series
1x 48" T5 Quad fixture
2x 54W T5 HO lamps 10000K
2x 54W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue
4x Bluemoon LED

Seems like alot of bang for the buck. I'm sure i don't have to use all 4 bulbs at once...maybe 1 54W T5 HO lamps 10000K and 1 T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue?

Actinic will not help grow plants... it is used for saltwater applications.

It is definitely overkill unless you plan to go high tech at some point and add a co2 injection system and do some serious fert dosing.

I never really recommend Odyssea fixtures... there was a rash of several of them catching on fire a few years back. I haven't heard much bad lately, but that always made me shy away from them.

hmm ok thanks. guess its back to more searching. a fire is the last thing i would want.

New lights look great! And super bright and don't even get as hot as my old ones! Thanks everyone for the help!

ForumRunner_20120626_173643.jpg

Wow!! That fixture is sweet. Very modern. Where did you get it? What tank is it on? I want to see if it will fit my 55gal

Fishneedit.com and its on my 55g tank looks amazing only worry is the thing supporting it is plastic...but seems ok

Back
Top Bottom