Need help with water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natchos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I need some help please! I purchased some salt water tanks from someone at the beginning of march. We moved the whole thing. Water, live sand, fishes and live rocks. My 55 gallons is giving me some troubles especially with the water parameters. everything is doing good in the tank so far. I have tested his water when we brought it back and everytime I do a pwc I check before and after. No changes since we got the tank. I use tap water ( I know... Ro system to come later).
These are my parameters so far:
PH: 7.6
Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: 0.1
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 0
Iron: 0

As for the GH, KH and calcium, I haven't been able to get a number yet.
I use the Hagen master kit (drops) and I have yet to get any results. I end up putting so many drops (like 50 I think) and still get nothing.
Now here are my questions: what do you suggest I do?
I have some reef fusion ( which raises carbonate alkalinity, and calcium) and I also have some reef buffer to raise my PH.
Are they any good? Are they products I would have to keep putting in all the time to keep a balanced water?
Also, what exactly is alkalinity? I do not have a test for that. Can you get one or is it a reference to something else? ( sorry, I have absolutely no idea).
Thanks for your help!
You have all helped me tremendously with all your posts!
Natacha

Hi there!

Do you have another kit to check against or maybe bring it in to a lfs? If youre using regular salt to mix your water you have calcium. At least I think it's a given.

I wouldnt go messing with chemicals unless youre absolutely sure.

Not sure if that was at all helpful, but good luck. I also bought an entire 55g sw setup just a few weeks ago. :)

Thanks!
Yes I saw your post with what you bought. You got a good deal! Did you end up posting some pictures? I didn't notice. How's it doing? Did you have to start it up from scratch?

I did in fact get the 55g up and running. Just bought a second pair of clowns for it and a goby. Next stop is a royal gramma and a yellow tang. :)

I just cut the filter out of the aquatech it came with and put it in a canister filter today. woot! No more loud filter lol

i went with carbon, biomax and one level has the old filter media and some phoshate filter pad.

Natchos said:
Hello everyone,
I need some help please! I purchased some salt water tanks from someone at the beginning of march. We moved the whole thing. Water, live sand, fishes and live rocks. My 55 gallons is giving me some troubles especially with the water parameters. everything is doing good in the tank so far. I have tested his water when we brought it back and everytime I do a pwc I check before and after. No changes since we got the tank. I use tap water ( I know... Ro system to come later).
These are my parameters so far:
PH: 7.6
Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: 0.1
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 0
Iron: 0

As for the GH, KH and calcium, I haven't been able to get a number yet.
I use the Hagen master kit (drops) and I have yet to get any results. I end up putting so many drops (like 50 I think) and still get nothing.
Now here are my questions: what do you suggest I do?
I have some reef fusion ( which raises carbonate alkalinity, and calcium) and I also have some reef buffer to raise my PH.
Are they any good? Are they products I would have to keep putting in all the time to keep a balanced water?
Also, what exactly is alkalinity? I do not have a test for that. Can you get one or is it a reference to something else? ( sorry, I have absolutely no idea).
Thanks for your help!
You have all helped me tremendously with all your posts!
Natacha

Alkalinity is component of KH

Back
Top Bottom