Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank recently finished cycling. I planned on getting fish later tonight. I preformed a water change and tested. The nitrates are still between 40-80. I used city water from my dad shop. We have well water here but the only temp matched water I can get has been treated with a water softener that we put that special salt in to take the iron out. Can that be used in the tanks? I have been afraid to use it because of that. Thanks for the help!

My tank recently finished cycling. I planned on getting fish later tonight. I preformed a water change and tested. The nitrates are still between 40-80. I used city water from my dad shop. We have well water here but the only temp matched water I can get has been treated with a water softener that we put that special salt in to take the iron out. Can that be used in the tanks? I have been afraid to use it because of that. Thanks for the help!

What do you mean by temp matched water?

Temperature matched. The only pure well water is out of the hose and it's below freezing. The water the comes out of the sink is treated through a softener. And I just tested the sink water. It's 0s for ammonia nitrites and nitrates and ph is 7.6. Is it ok to use?

Temperature matched. The only pure well water is out of the hose and it's below freezing. The water the comes out of the sink is treated through a softener. And I just tested the sink water. It's 0s for ammonia nitrites and nitrates and ph is 7.6. Is it ok to use?
Not exactly sure what a softener is or does to the water, but Lots of people use tap water with no problems. Just make sure to use Prime. It removes a lot more bad stuff in tap water than other dechlorinators.

Ok. I think I will try it. I searched this question on yahoo and I most of the stiff the popped up said I could. Thanks

Newfishlover said:
Ok. I think I will try it. I searched this question on yahoo and I most of the stiff the popped up said I could. Thanks

Good luck!

What do you mean nitrates between 40-80
Nitrates that are that high will kill all fish (nitrates should always be kept under 20ppm)

There wasn't fish in there yet. I was changing water after a fishless cycle. I did another large pwc.

The salt in the softener is only used to to create the brine that cleans the resin beads off during the softeners recharging period in the middle of the night. The rest of the time the salt just sits in the softener. (If it was always in the water, you would taste salt every time you got a drink.) 'Softened' well water is perfectly fine to use as long as you use a conditioner to make sure any trace elements are taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom