Need id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DWilliams

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know what this is? Looks like a mushroom, but I know it's not. I have like 4 random ones on one of my zoa rocks.
thanks.
image-2836884901.jpg

image-111015499.jpg

See if you can remove it, it my be a nudibranch that eats zoanthids. I think it looks more like a polyp or anemone of some sort, but nudis can be masters of disguise.

It's 1 polyp, & when it's not out it looks like a dead toadstool or frogspawn. Appears to permanently attached to the rock & never moves just stays in the one spot.

Odd place for one, but it does resemble a Fungia. Especially if the white ribs we see are hard skeleton.

Flreefer said:
Odd place for one, but it does resemble a Fungia. Especially if the white ribs we see are hard skeleton.

Polyps probably grew around it. My guess as they can practically grow anywhere and it looks very much like one.

Flreefer said:

The white ribs are skeleton. Is this a pest? I have 5 of them in random spots of this rock. Also is it fragable?
Thanks.

No!! Not a pest at all! Not absolutely sure that's what it is, but Fungia are plate corals. They are usually offered without any rock as a base, just a round disc shaped coral, usually placed in the sandbed. Google plate coral and check them out.
You could probably pop it off the zoa rock, but you could break it, you would have to be very careful. It will interfere with the zoas, but only the ones that it's feeder tentacles can reach.
If it is a plate, it would be best to try to remove it, but risky. And just so you know, full grown, the plate is worth close to the same amount, if not more than the zoas. So if you got 5 as hitchikers, you did good!!

My lfs (which is a pretty good one) has told me its a pest. Not sure what to think now.. Haha but yes there are 5 all the same size slight color difference but all on the same zoa rock. They told me its similar to aptasia but prettier.

But the zoas haven't moved away from it like they normally do when a aptasia grows in. I've seen it at my LFS. My guy breeds almost every kind if zoas out there.

Steve silbernagel said:
But the zoas haven't moved away from it like they normally do when a aptasia grows in. I've seen it at my LFS. My guy breeds almost every kind if zoas out there.

I do like how it looks, at night when the lights are off it looks like a dead frogspawn too.

DWilliams said:
My lfs (which is a pretty good one) has told me its a pest. Not sure what to think now.. Haha but yes there are 5 all the same size slight color difference but all on the same zoa rock. They told me its similar to aptasia but prettier.

Lol a name would have helped. Dont buy into that theory yet. If it were a past its not likely your polyps would grow around it like that.

Im still sticking with fungia. I will try and find a similar pic.

Heres a few pics. Some have differend colors but you can see the similarity.

Attachments

• image-4262336845.jpg
    image-4262336845.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image-834489862.jpg
    image-834489862.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-98284985.jpg
    image-98284985.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image-112929781.jpg
    image-112929781.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 69
DWilliams said:

Similar to Aptasia, but prettier, normally would mean Majano, some can be very attractive, but most pests don't have a hard skeleton, like a LPS.
I agree with Schism, it looks like a Fungia, plate coral.

Back
Top Bottom