Need some assistance sump sounds like boiling water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I plumbed in my sump/refug a day or so ago, last night I put some water in the tank. Everything looks good, except the part of the sump where the drains come in, it looks and sounds like a pot of boiling water. You can hear it all through the house. VERY annoying. What do I need to do to quiet it?
One drain that is pretty much a straight shot down is MUCH worse than the other drain that has a 40 in horizontal piece in it. I had the pipes above the sump water level, then lenghtened them to empty down in the water but it did not help the sound problem any.
What do I need to do to quieten it down??
My tank is a 150 gal all-glass with dual over flows, It came with the in tank plumbing that looks like the durso pipe setup.

Thanks
Jason

I had the exact same problem. Here's what I did:
sump.jpg

It works really well. Most of the air and burping goes out that upper elbow. You still get bubbles but nothing noisey.

Also, if you're using a durso standpipe (as I am), tinkering with the air hole can get you less bubbling and burping in the sump.

I tried quite a few crazy things and this was simple and quiet. Hope it helps.

Well I can't claim any stroke of genius. I had that T and elbow stuck together from a botched standpipe build. It was just laying around so I figured what the hell, I'll stick that on the end. Eureka!

Maybe put a big sponge under where it drains in, or if you have a perforated tray that the water first drians in to, you could put a polyfilter in it.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom