Need some help here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
What filter media should I use?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to be converting my 46 bow from freshwater to marine this weekend. EVERYTHINK from the freshwater set-up will be removed. Intend to put in some live rock, clown fish (eventually) and some coral/anenomes.

I have 40lbs of agra-live fiji sand on hold at the lfs. I've got a used 2226 Eheim wet/dry coming in. I have a Fluval 304 on hand. I have a small powerhead ready to go and an AquaClear 300 that was running on the original freshwater set-up.

1. What type of media should I be using in the canister filters? Mechanical, bio, chem, or some combination? What about the HOB?

2. Does the live Fiji sand get cleaned before being put into the tank? Does the water in the bag get used or discarded?

3. Can live rock be put in immediately? I'd like to buy a little from the lfs and mail order some nice stuff as soon as the tank is ready.

4. Other than the Instant Ocean salt, what should be added to the water as the tank is opened? Prime, PH adjuster, other?

5. What chemical test kits should I have on hand other that PH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrate and salinity?

6. What temperature should I be using, 80deg?

Thank for the advice - Charlie

1. What type of media should I be using in the canister filters? Mechanical, bio, chem, or some combination? What about the HOB?

I say none, and get a protein skimmer instead. Just my opinion of course. Canisters are nice, but need cleaned very often, or so I hear. And a filter in a sw tank really isn't needed unless you don't have much liverock.

2. Does the live Fiji sand get cleaned before being put into the tank? Does the water in the bag get used or discarded?

I didn't clean mine, just put it all in the tank. Water and everything.

3. Can live rock be put in immediately? I'd like to buy a little from the lfs and mail order some nice stuff as soon as the tank is ready.

Sure. You can use the liverock to cycle your tank. It's not a good idea to add liverock to a tank with livestock already in it. You run the risk (especially if it's being shipped to you) of it needing to cure, or possibly having unwanted hitchhikers in it.

4. Other than the Instant Ocean salt, what should be added to the water as the tank is opened? Prime, PH adjuster, other?

Nothing. The IO Salt will buffer your water to all the neccesary parameters.

5. What chemical test kits should I have on hand other that PH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrate and salinity?

You may want a KH and GH kit, and eventually a PO4 and Ca kit as your build your reef. Also, just incase you misunderstood, salinity is not measured with a chemical test kit, but rather by a hydrometer or refractometer.
6. What temperature should I be using, 80deg?

Yes. I'd say anywhere from 77 to 81 is acceptable.

HTH

I agree with devilis.....

1. I have a fluvial 304 I put GAC in it. I only clean it once a month. As for media, I am in the process of removing the sponges this weekend, and if everything is ok after a few weeks, I'll remove this:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/Produc...al/T1/F24CX+0171+0694/EDP/19088/Itemdy00.aspx
I think the sponges/media in the filter are helping to feed my algae.

2. Dump it all in there, it says it is live sand, but I have my doubts that there is really anything live in there, after shipping and sitting on a shelf.

3. I would order online, then you can cycle the LR with your tank. When I buy LR from the LFS, I just take it home and add it to my tank.

4. I agree, and your PWCs will replace any chems that are depleted.

5. This one will work and is cheap....my LFS sells it for $28
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4452&N=2004+113074
This is a great price and easy to use refracto...dang it's cheaper now, then when I bought it!!!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9957&N=2004+113761

6. Yes, those numbers will work, as long as you keep them stable....

Back
Top Bottom