need some new ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone,

I've been posting mostly in the saltwater forum for the past year and a half while establishing my reef tank, but I've ignored my freshies and I need some new thoughts.

I have a 50 gallon tropical set-up which currently has only two high-fin white tetras, two black skirt tetras, an agressive blue gourami and an aggressive zebra danio. (Had 4 of those 3 years ago, but 3 have gradually perished)

My tank is boring! What does anyone suggest for some COLOR? I love invertebrates, too, though I've never kept any fresh water ones. Will I have to get rid of the gourami and the danio who chase anything in sight?

Should I go to fully planted? Right now most of my plants are artificial, with lots of healthy java fern (or is it moss) in between. No live planted plants, I think because I used to keep goldfish (who have all moved outdoors to my pond) and I just got used to all the plants being uprooted and gave up on them.

So....here I am with an un-interesting tank, help please! Who has the most colorful and fun 50 gallon aquarium out there? :D

PS I also have an empty 8O 20 gallon, but I guess I'll make a new post on needed inspiration for that!

First off, get more friends for the tetras and danios. They do better in larger groups, and don't take up much bioload, so you can still add some cool-colored fish. For that size tank, I would recommend rainbowfish, and they are always active, very peaceful, and extremely fun to watch. I have 3 in my 26G, and they are fun to watch.

Another idea is gouramis, but they tend to be more aggressive. I prefer rainbowfish over the gouramis myself, as you can have more in the tank and less aggression issues.

As for going planted, up to you. Go through the planted section, the stickies and articles, and see if it's something you'd like to do. And if so, a bunch of us can help with any questions you have.

As for the gourami, up to you. If you do decide to let him go, the lfs may give you store credit to the purchase of other fish, if you decide to go that route. I think the aggression for the danio is due to being alone. He needs more of his own kind in the tank. For tetras and danios, I recommend a minimum of 6. Some say 3 or 4, but the larger the group, the better they feel.

Hope that helped some. And if you have any questions, we'll be more than happy to give some good input. :)

I agree with LWB...it's time to go planted. We have a number of members who have crossed the line and keep both (reefs and planted tanks). Why not join them? You will get the colors you want (from the plants and the addition of some darling little SA dwarf cichlids) and it will keep you busy.

If you are interested in planting the tank, drop a line in the Planted tank forum. Take a look at some of the pics in the Aquascaping sub-forum while there.

Also, check out my threads in my signature. The 29G and 75G is pretty much my step-by-step process I went through in doing my tanks. And now that I've had some breeding issues, lol, I now have the 10G section, which is where I have some offspring. :)

throw in some moonlight gourami's for energy (females are incredibly passive)

a school of neons always look cool (big school)

glass cats add some wow (dont get glass fish, sure you pay 1/4 the price, but then after awhile, you realize you have a cheap and not as exotic fish

silver dollars are cool (small ones should be ok for your tetras)

and i saw clown and african ghost knives for $6 and $7 dollars at lfs (pet supplies plus, if you care)

of course small cichlids are cheap, and grow fast...

check out my threads in my signature. The 29G and 75G is pretty much my step-by-step process

Wow, LWB, I've looked at almost all of your thread on your 75. Your tank is spectacular, but it looks so complicated! I thought I could just add some plants besides the java moss to my tank, but it seems there's WAY more to it than that!

And thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. The rainbows look really nice, and I'll add a few more tetras. With the white and black skirt tetras, do I have to add the same variety, or would they buddy up with some of the red varieties?

Back
Top Bottom