Need Someone Familiar With Indian Almond Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just ordered some Indian almond leaves for my freshwater shrimp tank and I have some questions. It's a 10 gallon tank and I'm trying to get it suitable for crystal red shrimp.

1. How dark will these leaves make my water? Some people say a light amber, some say very dark.

2. Will it lower my pH from 7.6 to 6.5-ish?

Pictures and opinions are helpful!

It really depends on how the leaves were cured. Some will leach darker tannins than others. Is there something you can put them in as a trial run?
To answer your other question, yes they will drop your ph. Part of the reason indian almond is used is because of it's mild altering qualities so you shouldn't have a problem.

You mean like a bucket? Haha. How long should I test them in the bucket before placing in the tank?

Yep a clean bucket would work. I'd let em soak for a few days at least. Thats how i fed my scud colony with no ill effects.

A lot just depends on how many leaves you're going to put in there. For my 20g I'd put 2 large size leaves inside and the water would only change slightly.

Darker water = lower pH right? Because I have to go from 7.6 to mid 6-ish. So I feel that is a pretty big change. Would one large leaf do it?

I put a large leaf in about 24 hours ago and it hasn't lowered my pH let. And the water isn't very dark yet. It's about 7 inches long and my tank is a 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom