Need suggestions about water clarity!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loraaf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank that as of two days ago only has zebra danio fry and eggs in it. I took out the adult danios and barbs two days ago to give the fry a chance. The water is pretty cloudy due to a accidental over feed and my reluctance to do a PWC as I don't want to suck up the eggs still in the gravel and the tiny fry that are everywhere. I don't know the particulars of the water as I don't have a test kit. Hopefully I will be able to get one later this week. Since the babies are thriving should I just let the water be until they are all big enough to get out of the way of the vaccum? I would say It'll be 2-3 weeks before they are all big enough for that as they are still hatching. The filter I have is just a hanging 20 gallon top fin filter that currently has a stocking over the intake to keep the fry from being sucked into it.

Help please!!! Thanks!!!

FYI: I did a 30% PWC a week and a half ago before I realized there were eggs in the gravel.

You need a test kit first, and asap. And if you just don't vacuum the gravel, then add more water ever so carefully, I would think you could do a PWC no problem.

But I'm no fry or fish expert, so this is just all IMO.

How often do you do PWC's for a 20 gallon tank normally? And how much?

I do a 25-30% on my 29 gallon every Sunday. (my tank is slightly overstocked, but heavily planted, so that helps.

I've always been told a weekly 50% pwc is usually good. If you're really worried about the frys with the vacuum maybe you could attach a fine mesh net to the end of the vac just in case.

I will definitely do sand next time but this was an unplanned event. In fact I may change over to sand after I get these little guys taken care. I'm not even sure what to do with them once they get bigger. There have to be 100-200 of them with more hatching every night. If anybody is close and wants free zebra danios I have plenty.

And thanks for all the advice. I will definitely be working on a PWC tomorrow if my kids let me.

Back
Top Bottom