Neolamprologus caudopunctatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darrin36

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am soon geting 6 caudopuncs and i am wondering if anybody here has dealt with them and could give me some pointers on the best way to set up my 20g to best suite there needs i am using pool filtre sand for substrate but what else should i include in my tank.. ??

6 in a 20 gallon may be a bit tight, even though they are some of the smaller cichlids. I could be wrong, but I would think at least a 30 or bigger once they are full grown especially.

I wouldn't try to keep more than 2 pair in a 20g.....and even that may be a little tight. ;) Never kept these personally, but I know alot of shell dwellers are pretty aggressive with their own kind and pretty territorial. Even though they are small, they need a large territory.

Like any Lamp they can be pretty spunky, having spats erupt over territory regularly and sometimes for seemingly no reason at all. So they will definitely need more space and lots of rockwork. I always used lace rock in my Lamp tanks because it is much easier to create a stable rock pile and provide lots of caves and crevices.

well i ended up with 5 cadupunctaus i made a big rock cavern in the middle and left open ends on either sides with shells for them when they spawn hopefully all is good right now i am feeding them nls and brine shrimp. they seem to be a verry beutiful and peacfell fish

Peaceful until they start spawning. I started with 6 in a 40g, ended up with hundreds. Been selling at local auctions. Put many large shells in the tank and be prepared to be overwelmed. They are interesting, beautiful fish and they only show aggression when protecting their young. Very hardy fish also.

I agree, a 20 is way to small, these fish got larger than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom