neon tetra questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok
A some of my tetras looked faded from front but when they turn there colors arent faded why? is it my lights
B one is very chubby do they lay eggs and get chubby when they do or did it eat to much iit swims and darts just like the rest
pic is the chubby one

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

I've had Neons years ago and just again started them again recently. They are a very hearty fish and will eat till they explode if you're not careful! Remember, their stomachs are about the same size as their eye! Feed them sparingly. Maybe 2x a day and what they'll eat in a few minutes. (They will eat ALL you provide!)

Males tend to have their stripe level whereas the female being a bit fatter girth-wise, will have her stripe slightly but obviously to the human eye appearing to be bent. You can also easily tell females by their larger belly. The darting as you call it is just in their nature.

I've had Neons years ago and just again started them again recently. They are a very hearty fish and will eat till they explode if you're not careful! Remember, their stomachs are about the same size as their eye! Feed them sparingly. Maybe 2x a day and what they'll eat in a few minutes. (They will eat ALL you provide!)

Males tend to have their stripe level whereas the female being a bit fatter girth-wise, will have her stripe slightly but obviously to the human eye appearing to be bent. You can also easily tell females by their larger belly. The darting as you call it is just in their nature.

They aren't as hardy as they used to be :(

That's odd. Normally, they're pretty easy to get along with. How long have you had them?

No their care is simple but they just aren't considered as hardy as they once were due to breeding issues, etc. I've kept them on and off for years. They are not a fish I would reccomend just floating the bag and adding to the tank. They need to be acclimated more slowly and this will help your chances with them. I can say have definitely had better results with neons from my M&P LFS than from my petco. As for the fading, not quite sure what that's about. Fish doesn't look large enough to be from old age and you can't tell the prob in the pic :(

Back
Top Bottom