Neon tetra species only tank, how many in a 20 gallon long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jigabodo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks,

I am thinking about converting my current 20 gallon long heavily planted project into a neon tetra species only tank. Currently there are about 20 amano shrimps and 3 otos, some white clouds and a honey gourami in there. I have a whisper power filter 60 rated at 330 gph, and temp is kept at 76F.

I do weekly 25% PWC, and my last reading was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. (still did a PWC anyways).

My tank is heavily planted, if you look from above the tank you can probably see about less than 10% of substrate.

I have the following plants in there right now:
java moss on driftwood
java fern
cardamine lyrata
dwarf baby tears
bacopa caroliana
broad leaf ludwigia
banana plants
aponogeton hybrid
crypt wendtii
amazon sword
rotala
water wisteria
cardinal plant
red tiger lotus
marimo moss

That being said, if I go ahead and convert my 20 gallon long to a neon tetra species only tank (while keeping the shrimp and oto), how many neon tetra do you guys think I can stock my tank without having to change my current WC schedule (weekly 25%)?

Thanks!

jigabodo said:
Hey folks,

I am thinking about converting my current 20 gallon long heavily planted project into a neon tetra species only tank. Currently there are about 20 amano shrimps and 3 otos, some white clouds and a honey gourami in there. I have a whisper power filter 60 rated at 330 gph, and temp is kept at 76F.

I do weekly 25% PWC, and my last reading was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. (still did a PWC anyways).

My tank is heavily planted, if you look from above the tank you can probably see about less than 10% of substrate.

I have the following plants in there right now:
java moss on driftwood
java fern
cardamine lyrata
dwarf baby tears
bacopa caroliana
broad leaf ludwigia
banana plants
aponogeton hybrid
crypt wendtii
amazon sword
rotala
water wisteria
cardinal plant
red tiger lotus
marimo moss

That being said, if I go ahead and convert my 20 gallon long to a neon tetra species only tank (while keeping the shrimp and oto), how many neon tetra do you guys think I can stock my tank without having to change my current WC schedule (weekly 25%)?

Thanks!

I'd say at least 10. No more than like 15. I'd up your temp a bit though. 78 would be best imo

Back
Top Bottom