Neon Tetra - Submitted by D9HP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Neon Tetra
Written by D9HP

The neon tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi) is one of the most readily available freshwater fish, being sold all around the world. One of the greatest things about this fish is its natural instinct to school, so it is almost a necessity to own more than one. They look their best when schooling in groups of six or more.

These fish are rather easy to care for, but die from the Neon Tetra Disease. This species of fish likes its water with a pH of 6.0-7.8. The temperature of 68-78 degrees is what this fish desires, but is often hard to accommodate since so often kept in planted tanks with a warmer climate.

There is another species of fish, which is very similar in appearance. It is the Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi) the main characteristics are the same; the blue band is on average the same size. The difference in the two is that the cardinal has a very large red band, which starts at the bottom of the blue, reaches from the tail of the fish to mouth, and stretches to the bottom. The problem with this fish is that it is much more demanding than its cousin the neon. It prefers its water very acidic and a pH in the range of 4.5 to 6.4. One of the positive things about this fish is its willingness to live in a warmer environment, one with a temperature of around 73-82 degrees. They both grow to about the same size, and are often sold in the same tank, as Neon Tetras. Take a close look at the red bands before purchasing either species.

The Neon Tetra disease is a disease that hits hard, and often. It is not constrained to the neon tetra, affecting all other tetras and most other fish. Some of the symptoms of this disease are as follows:

• Restlessness
    Fish begins to lose coloration
    cysts developing to make the body appear lumpy
    Difficulty swimming
    Curved spine may appear
    Secondary infections such as fin rot and bloating

There is not yet a treatment; therefore the best thing to do is to put the fish asleep, by putting it into a bowl of ice water. The worst thing to do is leave it in the tank because it will spread and kill the other inhabitants.

Sexing the neon tetra is not really a science; the female will be a little larger.

Neon Tetra
http://tropical-fish.net/tetras/neon_tetra.htm
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1097

Cardinal Tetra
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=895

Neon Tetra Disease
http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa092601a.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got the species names reversed for the Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi, or herbertaxelrodi) and Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi), just to let you know. Nice review though, and thank you for bringing the Neon Tetra Disease to my attention.

Is neon tetra disease avoidable? It sounds so horrendous Im afraid to have these fish!

Is neon tetra disease avoidable? It sounds so horrendous Im afraid to have these fish!

From the internet reading I've done, neon tetra disease (NTD) comes with live fish or live food. It is sporozoan. It has no free swimming stage. Fish get it from eating dead fish and/or infected live food. There is also something called false neon tetra disease (FNTD) which is bacterial.

With NTD, coloration is lost in the muscle and confined to a patch from the photos I've seen. It is very difficult for the amateur to distinguish from FNTD. By the time the amateur aquarist figures out that something serious is wrong, it can be too late to treat either disease.

I've read that cardinal tetras are resistant to NTD on one web site only to see a picture depicting NTD on another site. The example fish in the picture? A cardinal tetra! It is important to realize while this disease was discovered in neons; other tetras, danios, angels and many other fish are susceptible.

The best preventives are buying good stock and live food from known sources and removing suspect fish. To confuse matters, I've also read both that NTD is rare, and that is is more common than most think. Since it is almost impossible to tell from FNTD I'm not sure to make from these statements.

I've done so much reading on this because I keep tetras. Everything I've said above is a compilation of things I've read on the web. I'm not making particular citations because this is off the top of my head and my recollection from my readings. Just Google "neon tetra disease" and you too can find as much contradictory information as I have. That includes the information that with great effort some fish may be saved and the spread of NTD may be prevented in the tank via medication. Since this is totally against the conventional wisdom, I'm suspect, but hopeful.

One other note, if you are convinced that you need to euthanize a fish for any reason, please consult the comprehensive guide on this site. Knowing that you did it as humanely as possible is a comfort. As in all things death is part of life and sadly, part of fishkeeping.

Disclaimer: I'm totally an amateur and by no means an expert on this or anything else aquatic. I just hope my comments regarding NTD encourage you to keep tetras (including neons) which are wonderful fish. Like all fish diseases these things are preventable and/or manageable even if the management includes euthanasia of a sick individual in order to save the rest of the tank.

...I've done so much reading on this because I keep tetras. Everything I've said above is a compilation of things I've read on the web. I'm not making particular citations because this is off the top of my head and my recollection from my readings. Just Google "neon tetra disease" and you too can find as much contradictory information as I have. ...

What about the temperature range information?, ive found very contradictory information aswell, some LFS and web information state that this species, being native to the amazon river is well suited (and actually prefers) warm temperatures, this time of year the local weather is 85°F or above, so my tank has a constant 84°F or so and my neons have been living for about a week or son in this tank with no problems at all, (my theory is that it doesnt work like that in other countries maybe bcuz the temperature drops too much at night)

my LFS'S owners both told me that the tetras should be fine with this weather conditions

anyway, id like to know because im thinking of making a chiller type system to get the temperature down and i dont want to start the project if its unnecesarry

Back
Top Bottom