Neon tetras with fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan79

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.
I recently 'saved' 7 fish that had been abandoned by their owner at work when they moved to a different city. People with no aquarium knowledge were overfeeding (tank had loads of floating food when i spotted them) them and the filter in the 5g cube they were in had burnt out as the O rings weren't right on the HOBs intake so no flow happened. The ammonia levels were pretty high even after changing out 80% of the water (4mm worth of rotting food settled in the WC i did for the 5g). Over the next 2 days i did 2x50% WC to get the water right again but one Tetra has some mouth fungus today while a second one has a chunk missing from it's tail and is developing a bit of fungus on it's side.

If i get back to town early enough after work tomorrow i will see what meds my LFS has for fungus and see if i can QT them in a seperate tank. I'm sure that the bad water and the stress of the move allowed the fungus to take hold.

Anyway some questions.
Is Metafix the best anti fungal med for Neon Tertra's since i read they are sensitive. If something else would be better i'll look for it. Open to good advice if there is a better treament.

If i apply the metafix should i QT the 2 tetras in a tank of their own or dose all my fish. I'm leaning towards a separate QT. I have a big Ramshorn population at the moment that i'd prefer not to kill with meds. I may also see if their is a garlic product to boost immune systems. I just added new life spectrum to the feeding rotation which has garlic but probably not the same as a garlic based food.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This is my first problem that aggressive WC probably can't solve.

Well i missed getting to the LFS today due to working late. The fungus has cleared up a lot on both fish. The one with mouth fungus has reduced to about 1/3 of the size the fungus was yesterday while the second tetra is not showing any fungus at all but his side still looks sore. I'll add some stress coat and do a WC and hopefully the issue will continue to clear up.

Back
Top Bottom