Neon Tetras!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
So petco was having a 5 for 5 sale. I impulsivley bought Neon tetras, and they were good, schooling toghter until the next moring. I found one dead. No biggie, I flushed it. The next day, one is missing. I'm worried that this will keep happening. I have a 55 gal thats been going since may, and has guppies, platys, a keyhole chichilid, 2 plecos, and a chinese algae eater.

the keyho0le chichlid.. how big is it??? Neons are easy prey for a lot of fish.

I could never get neons to last long... Either they die, or something eats them. I gave up trying to keep them, and usually get rasboras instead... They seem to last longer.

I had to go to 3 LFS before I had a batch of neons that survived. Like you, one would die ach night, until there was one left . Since they were the only fish, no predation could be blamed. The last lfs I went to told me to float the bag for 20 to 30 minutes, which I did, then I did about a 5 to 10 minute period of adding tank water to the bag. Since every lfs has the same water supply I do, parameters are the same, so I spend most of the acclimation time bringing the bag up to tank temp gradually. It was either better neon stock, or the longer bag float that made a success.

my bet is better stock, most breeders just throw the fish in a large tank at the right parameters and tempratures and let them do their thing after a while the gene pool can get shallow if you don't mix it up a little.

Dwarf gouranis ate 9 of my 12 neons. Guess the last 3 were just a little too big, as they are still in the tank.

As mentioned in another thread I have had trouble with them. There was one particular time I bought some and they lasted well, but I have no idea why I have had bad luck.

I use the dump method for introducing fish. I only float bags for any length of time if I know there is a huge temp diff. IMO getting the fish out of the 500ml of festy ammonia ridden water asap gives them a good chance. I don't tell people that is what they should do, but it is what works for me. This could be the cause of neon deaths for me I guess, but it didn't kill discus, rams, cardinals or rummynose tetras.

mattrox -

The three lfs near my house are minutes away, and get the same tap water I do. Except for the neons, I have always freed the new fish rather quickly. But after loosing 10 or 12 fish, I had to try something else. I can't see how a short acclimation period would cause a fish to die 4 ot 5 days later, even after it was eating, but I really wanted some neons and was willing to try anything. That meant going to lfs#3, my least favorite lfs, with the goofy, unfreindly owner. Of course, now that it has worked, I am obligated to follow the exact same steps each time I bring home some neons, or risk breaking the spell :eek:

mattrox said:
I use the dump method for introducing fish. I only float bags for any length of time if I know there is a huge temp diff. IMO getting the fish out of the 500ml of festy ammonia ridden water asap gives them a good chance. I don't tell people that is what they should do, but it is what works for me. This could be the cause of neon deaths for me I guess, but it didn't kill discus, rams, cardinals or rummynose tetras.

Shame on you, lol...
Kidding....
I float mine for about 15 minutes, then pour half of the water out in a bucket, then slowly fill it back up by quickly submerging it to let some water in and pull back to surface. I will usually do this 2 times, takes about 20 minutes, then empty contents of the bag into a net sitting across the top of my bucket and put them in the tank. I never dump lfs water into my tank.

The only bit of luck I've ever had with them was when I bought larger ones. Usually the tanks are stuffed with tiny neons, and I've never had a one survive. When buying the larger ones I've had some luck (kept 5 alive for over a year once).

One idea... Don't know if it will work or not, and some in here will shudder at the mention... Check your local Wal-Marts. They sometimes have fish that sit for a LONG time. If you can find some larger neons that survived in their tanks they could probably survive anything.

happyhillbilly said:
I have a 55...[that]has...a keyhole chichilid

The only day I saw my keyhole cichlids be aggressive was the day I tried to put neons in the tank. I put in a school of 7 neons, and the keyholes immediately ate 3 before I could get the other 4 out and take them back to the store.

I also tend to use the dump method. I have ~20 fish all added to my tank over the course of 1.5 months and zero deaths. Of course I think this works well because I also live very close to the fish store and we have the exact same water. Growing up this would have been a bad idea as I lived on a farm with well water which would have been drastically different than the city water the fish at the fish stor 30 miles away would have been in.

omg that sounds like me, i saw that exact same sale, but i bought 10 male guppies and a gold capped veiltail angel

one of my angels died because he was sick, i tried medicating him but nothing worked

Well, the spell has been broken. I bought another batch of five Neons from the same tank at the same lfs that my first 5 survivor came from. The same old pattern, one death a day....... down to 7 from 10.

I lost 21 in 1 week all MIA, but the congo's were growing so fast, not sure what was up with that :(

Neon's are very hard to keep, I picked up black neon's for my daughters tank after 5/6 died (and #6 just hung on by a thread), the black neons are doing fantastic.. not sure of the new Diamond head neons tho.. look pretty, probably just as tasty for my fish..

Back
Top Bottom