Nerite or Apple snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
So what is the difference between a Nerite and an Apple snail? I've been looking for a Nerite snail to help clean alge out of my tanks and several people here have recommended them but all I can find in my local Petsmart only has Apple Snails (well, they call them Mystery Snails but I know they are really apple snails.). I was wondering if they would work. I may break down and just order some Nerites but I wanted to know what the deal was with Apple snails first.

I have 2 ten gallons and a 20 gallon that I would like to put a snail in to keep algae in check. any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Apple snails will probably breed, nerites need salt to breed. Nerites are also better algae eaters, I think they look better too.

Apple snails will probably breed, nerites need salt to breed. Nerites are also better algae eaters, I think they look better too.

Okay, we'll, I guess I'll see if I can find some Nerites then. I had heard that Nerites didn't breed in fresh water but I didn't know if it was true. Thanks for your help!

They're fine with Priority. Nerites are one of the best diatom cleaners out there, but their only negative is that they lay little white eggs everywhere (which don't hatch, but are still a little sore on the eyes).

Back
Top Bottom