Never seen a Nitrite spike. Normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyINCo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, IDK if you guys remember my very first thread about my frustration with the nitrogen cycle. But I was having problems with it not finishing, which we eventually deemed was caused by me changing the blue carbon filter (according to the box). I have since left the filter alone. Haven't touched it. Been about 6 weeks since it was changed.

Well, I have had some better ammonia readings since adding Nutrafin Instant Cycle, as well as live plants. However, I have never once seen a Nitrite reading above 0. Does this mean my tank STILL is not cycled? I test the nitrite a minimum of twice per week. I test ammonia every other day. Nitrate once a week or so.

I am still getting ammonia spikes. Although they aren't as high as before, they are still happening every few days. Between .25 and 1ppm.

Nitrate has finally got a number now that I added plant ferts. But only then. It always read 0 too.

This is a total mystery to me. My poor fish seem to be doing okay. My dwarf gouramis have been with me for the long haul. And one of them has even grown, alot!

Please would someone finally solve this puzzle for me? I HATE AMMONIA! It is my nemesis.

Your nitrate reading is probably a result of the chemicals going into the tank as opposed to actual nitrate if you haven't seen any nitrite.

Patience is a virtue.

Yeah, I kinda realized that, since it only happened after I added plant ferts, as I stated. Any input on my question though? Is tank still not cycled? It has been running since November, fish in since December.

I deem it..... Uncycled. If you have never seen nitrate before dosing then your nitrite nitrifying bacteria haven't started to develop. In my opinion, I've never used that chemical you're using, the chemical your putting in the tank is just bandaiding the ammonium problem, so that's why you still get spikes. Does that make sense? That's just my opinion.

MandyINCo said:
Hi, IDK if you guys remember my very first thread about my frustration with the nitrogen cycle. But I was having problems with it not finishing, which we eventually deemed was caused by me changing the blue carbon filter (according to the box). I have since left the filter alone. Haven't touched it. Been about 6 weeks since it was changed.

Well, I have had some better ammonia readings since adding Nutrafin Instant Cycle, as well as live plants. However, I have never once seen a Nitrite reading above 0. Does this mean my tank STILL is not cycled? I test the nitrite a minimum of twice per week. I test ammonia every other day. Nitrate once a week or so.

I am still getting ammonia spikes. Although they aren't as high as before, they are still happening every few days. Between .25 and 1ppm.

Nitrate has finally got a number now that I added plant ferts. But only then. It always read 0 too.

This is a total mystery to me. My poor fish seem to be doing okay. My dwarf gouramis have been with me for the long haul. And one of them has even grown, alot!

Please would someone finally solve this puzzle for me? I HATE AMMONIA! It is my nemesis.

Read this

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Back
Top Bottom