New 10G tank idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently came upon a 10 Gallon tank and I've been thinking of putting shrimp in this tank. Now before I begin I want to know what other little critters can be mixed in with the shrimp (Like crab and lobster, if I can find those). So far I just have the idea of adding sand to the tank but not sure whether 10 gallon filter is too dangerous to them in terms of sucking them up. What kind of food do they eat and what are some things I should look out for. I really want to take my time with this and do everything right since I am not in a rush to things started. Thank you.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I bought a new light for my tank after the old one burned out. The color of the light is blue but the problem is that it's too dark of a blue. I want to know if there is something that I can do to make the color a bit more bright, perhaps small white led strips that I can stick under the hood that is aquarium safe.

UHm need a bit of clarification

ok so are you doing SW or FW, because both have shrimp and both have lobster well in FW they are called crawfish, and about the light buddy IDK what they sold you or what you got but that might just be a SW night light, if it loook a lot like a black light the purpose of that light would be to mimic the night light that some SW fish need, if i was you insteda of buying the LED white strip just buy a new bulb way cheaper and you choose if you are planting, or w/e route you are willing to go.

shoot me an email to my inbox with the questions you got I will be able to help you, but some clarification might be needed on what type of 10g you are starting.

I am planning on going with fresh water and I purposely bought this light (It said it was for saltwater fish and great for reefs) but didn't think it'd be this dark. It was great when I was using the light on my cichlids but now am using it on my goldfish and it doesn't seem that good on them.

So a mix of shrimp, crawfish and crabs would be nice. About how many would be ideal in a 10 gallon tank and would a standard filter be fine as well as sand?

I am planning on going with fresh water and I purposely bought this light (It said it was for saltwater fish and great for reefs) but didn't think it'd be this dark. It was great when I was using the light on my cichlids but now am using it on my goldfish and it doesn't seem that good on them.

So a mix of shrimp, crawfish and crabs would be nice. About how many would be ideal in a 10 gallon tank and would a standard filter be fine as well as sand?

I would sincerely think about a tank bigger than 10 gallons, especially with invertebrates like crabs and crawfish with goldfish in your aquarium... I wouldn't suggest anything less than 50g for any single full grown goldfish. I think you will find your tank will be awesomely over crowded a few months down the line. Larger tank with a couple of fw shrimp and an fw crab, maybe a mystery snail or 2....

Oh, and I have found sand to be one of the easiest substrates for me to maintain. I have not had any filter problems, and bottom feeders generally tend to like sand best so far as I have encountered.

What?? My goldfish are in a different tank. My questions about the new 10 gallon tank and my goldfish tank light are totally unrelated because it's two different tanks, the 10 gallon tank that I just got is empty. That was my fault because I should've worded my question better. Also I think I'm going to trade my blue light with my neighbors white light, since he like my light, so that problem is solved. I just would like to know what ratio of shrimp, crawfish and crab would be good for a 10 gallon so that I do overcrowd.

That I'm not so sure of. I had a 10 for my puffer when he was a fry that i fit 2 red crabs, 2 blue crabs and a cleaner shrimp in, just had to make sure they didn't crawl into the filter or take the top off the tank, but that's with salt/ brackish....

That is what I'm really concerned about, that the shrimp gets sucked into the filter, the filter is not strong because it's for a 10 gallon but am nervous about it none the less.

Oh, mine don't get sucked in, all of them climb in and try to eat directly from the filter intake. It's actually pretty humorous, although, sadly, I think it may also be because my puffer likes to eat them. I now keep a 30g for him and wind up buying red, blue and hermit crabs here and there, but they never last that long, that's why I want to set up a 40g with a coral garden sanctuary for all that is not puffer, lol. I don't know anything about freshwater crustaceans, especially shrimp. Mine have all been the bigger saltwater cleaners- crabs are awesome no matter what, but they are strong and are escape artists spectacular. Good luck!! Have fun watching them eat and grow. Let me know how it turns out :flowers:

So after doing some research on this, I found out that I will need a sponge filter or to cover the intake of my filter but I don't know how to cover the intake (I do know how to cover it but not the correct way). Read that it isn't good to keep shrimp with crayfish, since the crayfish will kill them. Also read that if I want crabs I need to have some sort of platform above water where the crab can come out the water since they aren't fully aquatic but I do not know what to use as a platform.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom