New 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calebmoon16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a 20 gallon tank for about a year now and the last of my fish died about 2 months ago. Today I finally got around to cleaning it out. I set aside all my decorations in a bucket with some of the water from the tank and have completely replaced all of the rocks and filled it up with new water. I am going to dechlorinate it and all that good stuff in a bit but I was wondering what else I need to do? I'm also leaving to go to the beach for two weeks tomorrow so I'm trying to get everything added and ready to go for when I get back.
Thank you!
-Caleb

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

YOu didn't mention anything about cycling your tank - If you haven't heard about it, Here is how it goes:

1 - fish poop rots, turning into ammonia
2 - ammonia is absorbed by a type of bacteria, and turned into nitrites
3 - nitrites are absorbed by a different type of bacteria, and turned into nitrates
4 - nitrates are absorbed by plants

this takes about a month for the bacteria to establish. You need to get some ammonia, and administer it to the tank daily, I am not sure of the dosage. Or you can get some fish, who automatically make ammonia, although you have to do daily 25% water changes.

hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom