NEW 20 Gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up a shiny brand new, never filled with water 20 gallon long aquarium off craigslist for $20! Someone used it for an injured turtle until they got a hutch for it...

I've got a new Aqueon heater, filter, hood with lights and gravel rocks. :) can't wait to move my 5 mollies and platy into it so they can stretch their fins and swim like they should...
Reason I had them in a 10 gallon was I hadn't researched anything yet and hadn't found you guys on AA... Petsmart told me they would be fine in a 10 gal with the additional 2 guppies, platy and Chinese Algae eater I had purchased that day... That's 10 fish! One of which would grow up to terrorize my tank and grow to a foot long! (wasn't aware... Guy told me he would be a great algae eater and get along well in my tank). I have since rehomed the CAE, guppies and one of the platys. I'm about to set this thing up and transfer them.

Would you consider this fully stocked? I'm happy with just these guys...

* Female Black Molly
* Female Dalmatian Molly
* Female Creamsicle Lyretail Molly
* Female Silver Lyretail Molly
* Male Dalmatian Molly
* Male Gold Twin Bar Platy

sounds like good stocking, but if they have any decent cover around the ground you will get loooots more stocking in there when they breed. those fish are beautiful and know it lol. i wonder what the babies would be like....
hehe :)

I have a 10 gal fry tank with approx 85 fry from 3 batches... They came pregnant from store and me being mother hen, scooped out as they gave birth..

ocminpin said:
I have a 10 gal fry tank with approx 85 fry from 3 batches... They came pregnant from store and me being mother hen, scooped out as they gave birth..

I think I saw a picture, but can you post an updated one? That is so cool!

I would definitely consider that fully stocked. Honestly, that might be a bit much even for a 20. Mollies can get pretty decently sized, and once they start having babies, you could get pretty full if any of the babies live. :)
Sorry you got such poor advice, but it's great that you want to do right by your fish. :) Good luck!
Edit: I just now noticed that one of your fish is a platy, so I think you will be ok in that tank. It will be full, but it should be fine for them.

Most will be sold to LFS... craigslist too..
My 6 yr old son will pick a few females for his new tank and I'll keep one or two females :)
Separating the fry in a few weeks when I'm able to verifiably sex them... 2 mths old??

Back
Top Bottom