New 20--Looking to try something different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a new 20 gallon, and I am interested in trying some new fish. I have usually kept bettas and smaller community fish, but I was curious about stocking something new with this tank.

I don't really have any plans aside from a bristlenose. I really like peacock gudgeons and german blue rams, but I'm curious what other suggestions any of you might have. I'm fortunate that my LFS will order basically anything for me, so let's hear it! What colorful fish are out there that would live comfortably in a 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a pair of peacock gudgeons and are my favorite fish in my tank.

Are you looking for centerpiece type fish or schooling/shoaling fish?

Interested in any invertebrates? Crawfish are perfect for 20. Then I'd suggest something like an Oscar or a red tail shark

Interested in any invertebrates? Crawfish are perfect for 20. Then I'd suggest something like an Oscar or a red tail shark

You'd suggest an oscar for a 20 gallon tank??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's alone, yes. I raised mine to about 6 inches in my 10 gallon before putting him in my 50

But like the other guy said, do you just want one or too awesome fish or do you school fish?

I am interested in a centerpiece fish, yes. I wouldn't put an Oscar in a 20 gallon, but I have looked at a mexican dwarf crayfish before. I might consider one depending on the fish I choose.

I would love to see pics of your peacock gudgeon! I have yet to actually see one in person, so I'm curious as to how they look in the average person's tank. :)

If it's alone, yes. I raised mine to about 6 inches in my 10 gallon before putting him in my 50

Wow.. luckiest oscar on the planet.. what works for you does not work for all. For the sake of the forum and oscars alike.. please refrain from recommending anything less than a 75 gallon tank for oscars. 55 bare minimum.. thanks

Im at work now but will post pictures this evening of my gudgeons.

How about a peaceful African type microcosm/aquascape?

A pair of kribensis and like 10-12 clown killifish.

Apistos!

Attachments

• 1415281980847.jpg
    1415281980847.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1415282028261.jpg
    1415282028261.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 62
You could get african dwarf frogs, they are very fun little critters!

Here are my gudgeons, sorry for the bad pic but they thought I was feeding them a were swimming around excited

2hoe7h3.jpg

Here are my gudgeons, sorry for the bad pic but they thought I was feeding them a were swimming around excited

2hoe7h3.jpg

That's cute! I can still tell that they've got beautiful color, though! Are they personable? I love the look of kribs and apistos too, but I'm still drawn to those gudgeons!

That's cute! I can still tell that they've got beautiful color, though! Are they personable? I love the look of kribs and apistos too, but I'm still drawn to those gudgeons!

They are very friendly and the least skittish fish in my aquarium. Ive had them since they were about a 3/4 inch and about 2" now(about a year). They have survived the few ammonia spikes Ive dealt with. They compete well for food and I've never seen any aggression from them or towards them from any other fish. Basically, perfect tankmates

What do you have yours with, if you don't mind me asking? Sorry for all of the questions...I'm treading on unfamiliar turf, being so used to bettas, guppies, cories, and assorted schooling fish!

Serpae tetra x6
Bolivian ram x2
American flagfish x2
Threadfin rainbow x6
Dainty cory x6
Peacock gudgeon x2

Mexican Dwarf Crayfish are awesome, I had 3 in my 10 gallon with 5 cories, but I had 2 males and one female, so I had to move a male to a 2.5, the other two lived fine, but personally I wouldn't buy them again because they always nipped my cories. But if you have anubias, hornwort and a lava rock cave, that's perfect, he lived fine with all that. Oh, and he lived in a 2.5 with a fear puffer, and he would always love the company.

Nils

I am interested in a centerpiece fish, yes. I wouldn't put an Oscar in a 20 gallon, but I have looked at a mexican dwarf crayfish before. I might consider one depending on the fish I choose.

I would love to see pics of your peacock gudgeon! I have yet to actually see one in person, so I'm curious as to how they look in the average person's tank. :)

Peacocks are nice, and seem to be a fairly hardy fish. Frankly I don't see the color on them that you often see in the pictures on a daily basis, nor have mine actually bred for me yet. In my experience they do a lot better with live foods then prepared foods.

I feed a variety of frozen foods plus NLS as a staple to my other fish. I keep brine shrimp/blood worms/krill/omnivore cubes on hand at all times. Live would be a little harder to come by...

I've looked at the Red Breasted Smiling Cichlid (Flag Acara) once before as well. They're pretty but from the research I've done they're kind of shy. :/ After owning Bettas for so long, I'm looking for something with a little personality.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom