New 210 cichlid build-stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattylaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wanting to do a new 210 cichlid tank. I'll be doing a 55 gallon sump as my filtration. I am leaning towards central and/or South American cichlids. Just looking for some suggestions for stocking? I would like to be able to use live plants like anubias if possible but it's not necessary.

Want a biotopish type setup or a few big guys?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the idea of a few larger fish but am worried about aggression. If I can find a few species that I could get pairs of I would like to do that. I have two parrot fish I've had for about a year that are going into this tank as well.

Blood parrots or true parrots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Blood parrots. I bought them a year ago and had them while I was in college and have them in a 55 buy themselves now so I planned on moving them to the new tank. I purchased them before I knew they were hybrids but now they are so personable and getting large (about 6 inches) I would hate to get rid of them.

My 150 gallon is stocked with 6 geophagus altifrons, 6 large angelfish, 5 BNPs and about 50 mostly home bred corydoras. The geos and angelfish pretty much stay out of each others way, even when breeding. The angelfish stays more towards the top and the geos the bottom.

I'd personally go with a pair of Hoplarchus psittacus (true parrot cichlids), 6-8 biotodoma cupido (Cupid cichlids), 24 bleeding heart tetra, a royal pleco, and 4-5 hoplosternum catfish

I love the hoplarchus psittacus I actually plan on adding either one or a pair to the tank. I've been working on some ideas and thinking of doing
2-red hump geophagus
1-sysnpilum
2-threadfin geophagus
2-geophagus winemilleri
1-Syndontis catfish
1-oscar
1-Uaru
1 green and 1 golden Severus
My two blood parrots
1- hoplarchus psittacus

Interesting large SA cichlids are uaru, geophagus, severum, true parrot fish, chocolate cichlids, severums and angelfish. They all mix pretty well, but uaru and geophagus do best in groups.

I've narrowed it down to
4-red hump geophagus
4-threadfin geophagus
1 (green),
1 (golden),
and one (red shoulder) severum
1-synodontis catfish
1-oscar
My two parrots

I am still researching to make sure this setup wouldn't be over stocked and aggression would be minimal as possible in a cichlid tank. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice!

Lots of driftwood and tall plants to break up lines of sight always help. I think that the red humps do best in harems of one male and several females. Severums generally preclude the use of live plants.

I'm planning on using driftwood it's one of my favorite decorations and of course works with the bio type. What's your input on the stocking do you think it would work at mature sizes?

Severums are usually pretty mellow, but I had to rehome a red severum because he was homicidal. I have no personal experience, but I've heard that threadfins are aggressive for geophagus. Again I have no personal experience, but oscars are big but not necessarily aggressive. Having a large tank alleviates a lot of the potential problems.

Also, I wouldn't do a synodontis cat, but I'm a purist and prefer not to mix continents when possible (although my 90 is a bit mixed)

I'm on the edge with the oscar. I've always wanted one and I have read that they aren't really that aggressive in a large enough tank with similar sized semi aggressive cichlids. Which I'm doing a 210 which I thought would be big enough, but I've never kept one so I don't have that experience. I wanna do some sort of catfish do you have any suggestions that would fit?

They have a HUGE bioload and will eat anything even remotely close to fitting in their mouths. They're not all that aggressive, but they are piscivores.

As for catfish, I highly recommend looking into hoplosternum cats. Little armored tanks, they're super active during the day, and have cool personalities. Don't regret getting mine in the least. Also can check out dwarf giraffe cats, but be advised, I'm not positive they will work

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom