New 210 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is my main drain, running full syphon, as you can see I have a ball valve to control the syphon.
1620964_10202888276474121_1124693940_n.jpg

I personally am running a Hoffer Gurgle Buster (almost same as a stockman) on my secondary drain. its dead silent and is mainly just to pick up whatever the main drain doesn't.

1607048_10202888276594124_952917465_n.jpg

So huma all you did was match the two drains flow rates?

Huma - Sorry for stepping in here, but why do you need that second set up differently? My 240 has two drains that are basically PVC with holes drilled on the sides. Each has it's own line that dumps water into a filter sock in the sump. Both have ball valves to control flow (mine are under the tank). I get no noise at all. Did I just get lucky?

to the OP, when running 1 full syphon, and the other a non-syphon (durso, stockman, etc) theres no need to match flowrates, the only thing you need to do is dial in the full syphon close enough that the second drain isnt really getting much water. as in terms of the water level, i run mine prob 6-7" below water level. it needs to be far enough down that it wont create a vacuum from the surface. Todd, you mustve gotten extremely lucky, i tried running a ball valve on each side but could never get them dialed in right. also i ran mine up top because 1) i like to remove that standpipe to clean it every so often and 2, i dont want to put that kind of torque on the bulkheads. snipe, only time i'd hesitate to control the flow down, is if i had a single overflow. since i have 2 overflows, the secondary drain simply picks up the excess drainage that my full syphon doesnt get.

Huma - Sorry for stepping in here, but why do you need that second set up differently? My 240 has two drains that are basically PVC with holes drilled on the sides. Each has it's own line that dumps water into a filter sock in the sump. Both have ball valves to control flow (mine are under the tank). I get no noise at all. Did I just get lucky?
I'm guessing the reason why it's silent is because you aren't maxing them out. What size return pump are you running?

Mr X. You know your stuff but your pic creeps me the F**** out

Lol I know who it is but it's just disturbing to see haha!

I'm guessing the reason why it's silent is because you aren't maxing them out. What size return pump are you running?

It is a Rio 26HF that came with the tank. That is wide open into the tank, but the drains are not fully open. Probably about half each. The pump is noisy (hums loud), so I will very likely replace it down the road with something larger.

I was going to go with that or a Quiet One 9000. Something to bump me up over 2000gph. Probably will end up with whichever is least expensive at the time I buy. Hopefully that added power does not make things noisy. :)

Update: got smaller sump (75 gal) in place (125 gal sump didnt work with space) looks like I'll have to modify sock holders.. Not liking the idea of horizontal drains..any advise?

I would use a single 7" sock instead of the two smaller ones. If a fish goes down there, you'll have a hard time getting it out, plus, I like to turn my socks inside out before throwing them in the washing machine (just a little bleach), and turning those 4" socks inside out is very difficult.

Update: traded some tattoo work for 2 reactors,3 full spectrum 120w dimmable LEDs ,a 3600 gph dart pump and a dolphin pump, a tunze 6060 and some corals

Back
Top Bottom