New 220g corner tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i thought the sandbed in my refugium was a waste to be honest. I have since abandoned the fuge and use it for a larger skimmer but the sand was a real pain to take out and I have left it there cause I didnt want to stir up what was in it. lol
The only thing in my fuge's sandbed were bristleworms, all thepods lived on the macro and rock that were in mine.

i thought the sandbed in my refugium was a waste to be honest. I have since abandoned the fuge and use it for a larger skimmer but the sand was a real pain to take out and I have left it there cause I didnt want to stir up what was in it. lol
The only thing in my fuge's sandbed were bristleworms, all thepods lived on the macro and rock that were in mine.

Oh i thought it was good to have a sand bed in the fuge but thats what the lfs told me so it probably wasnt true anyway lol

I've always heard its a waste of time having a sand bed. Just live rock rubble and macro algae.

What do you guys use for lighting? Was thinking about getting an aquaray tile for the fuge. I currently have an Arcadia tropical grow lamp. Was recommended it but not sure its powerful enough.

You dont "need" the led power, t5 would do fine, even a spiral compact would do fine. Only thing running leds would do is save a few watts of electricitiy

So where are we now......

Time to resurrect this post. Normally I would keep updating you guys but I've been mega busy setting up a business and well..... Stuff!

So I sold my Aquarays! woohoo that's a lot of cash in my pocket to go towards fish! Managed to get hold of a nice second hand led unit for £40 so I'm well chuffed with that one.

What I've gone with is an open tank with loads of swimming space for my lovely big fish to grow. I've got rid of most of the smaller fish and am left with only large chromis and some lyretail anthias..... One of which has recently started changing to male.

I've added a few nice new fish but a few weeks ago I went down to my LFS to collect my fish I ordered and saw.... In a bag that came in on their order.... A beautiful juvenile blue ribbon eel. I researched this fish a lot in the past and again about 2 months ago and decided against the idea of getting one. So I ordered a snowflake eel instead. The survival rate of these animals are very low as we all know in captivity mainly due to feeding. Other reasons would be escaping from the tank.

Well...... To cut a long story short I couldn't see that fish go to someone very inexperienced in this hobby, which is what would happen, and I thought well...... If had success with the moorish idol why wouldn't I have success with one of these. So I took him home, put him in quarantine.

I've heard and read stories of these fish refusing to eat for weeks and weeks until they waste away. Other stories saying it took 2 to 3 weeks of trying to feed and then they started eating. There's not many success stories out there but there is one..... Very good one as well..... That claims 5 years in captivity. So I took some advice from them.

I spent 2 hours the second night I got him trying to feed with live guppies and after a lot of waiting and patience the eel finally ate the guppy. The following day I went a bought 6 guppies. Put them in the tank with him and immediately ate one. One again later that day and another the day after. I was so amazed and thrilled to see this fish eating after all I've read.

He's now in the main tank with his mates and the snowflake eel both of whom get along great and feeding very well too. It's important not to over feed so he'll get 3 guppies or a couple of mollies a week until I can ween him onto frozen food. Either way I'm happy to spent the time keeping this animal alive as truly it should never have been taken from the sea. Along with all of their relatives!

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are very experiences in keeping marine fish and are willing to invest a lot of time and patience into keeping one.

Here's a few pictures of the tank, it's new inhabitants and the eel. A few more adjustments needed but I like to think its coming along great. Will try and get some more pictures of the eel when he's out.

Attachments

• image-3238806686.jpg
    image-3238806686.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 127
  • image-1430738948.jpg
    image-1430738948.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 142
  • image-796836744.jpg
    image-796836744.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 122
  • image-25592696.jpg
    image-25592696.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 132
So where are we now......

Time to resurrect this post. Normally I would keep updating you guys but I've been mega busy setting up a business and well..... Stuff!

So I sold my Aquarays! woohoo that's a lot of cash in my pocket to go towards fish! Managed to get hold of a nice second hand led unit for £40 so I'm well chuffed with that one.

What I've gone with is an open tank with loads of swimming space for my lovely big fish to grow. I've got rid of most of the smaller fish and am left with only large chromis and some lyretail anthias..... One of which has recently started changing to male.

I've added a few nice new fish but a few weeks ago I went down to my LFS to collect my fish I ordered and saw.... In a bag that came in on their order.... A beautiful juvenile blue ribbon eel. I researched this fish a lot in the past and again about 2 months ago and decided against the idea of getting one. So I ordered a snowflake eel instead. The survival rate of these animals are very low as we all know in captivity mainly due to feeding. Other reasons would be escaping from the tank.

Well...... To cut a long story short I couldn't see that fish go to someone very inexperienced in this hobby, which is what would happen, and I thought well...... If had success with the moorish idol why wouldn't I have success with one of these. So I took him home, put him in quarantine.

I've heard and read stories of these fish refusing to eat for weeks and weeks until they waste away. Other stories saying it took 2 to 3 weeks of trying to feed and then they started eating. There's not many success stories out there but there is one..... Very good one as well..... That claims 5 years in captivity. So I took some advice from them.

I spent 2 hours the second night I got him trying to feed with live guppies and after a lot of waiting and patience the eel finally ate the guppy. The following day I went a bought 6 guppies. Put them in the tank with him and immediately ate one. One again later that day and another the day after. I was so amazed and thrilled to see this fish eating after all I've read.

He's now in the main tank with his mates and the snowflake eel both of whom get along great and feeding very well too. It's important not to over feed so he'll get 3 guppies or a couple of mollies a week until I can ween him onto frozen food. Either way I'm happy to spent the time keeping this animal alive as truly it should never have been taken from the sea. Along with all of their relatives!

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are very experiences in keeping marine fish and are willing to invest a lot of time and patience into keeping one.

Here's a few pictures of the tank, it's new inhabitants and the eel. A few more adjustments needed but I like to think its coming along great. Will try and get some more pictures of the eel when he's out.

To much reading!

The eel is a ribbon not a snowflake. It Looks great though, everything does!

Yeah don't drink and post haha.

He's still feeding really well. He's out now so gonna catch a few snaps before he goes back in.

Attachments

• image-2376443404.jpg
    image-2376443404.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 134
  • image-3880058572.jpg
    image-3880058572.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 134
Back
Top Bottom