New 29 G Customizing Stand, Will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning to get a 29G tank. I have a stand sized for a 20 Gallon tank that is a few inches short.

If I cut a piece of wood to the same size as the underside of the tank, and center it on the stand, will this be strong enough to support the tank?

What about resting the bottom of the tank directly on the slightly smaller stand?

I'm not sure if the tank glass rests on the bottom or if the lower "bezel" elevates the tank because I have not purchased yet.

Wondering what the best way to do this is? I don't want to buy another stand for such a small tank and the current stand should be strong enough, I'm just not sure if this will create any problems.

Also, I may get a 36G bowfront instead, but I'm guessing this strategy won't work and there aren't many inexpensive bowfront stands in this size. The 36 bowfront would overhang even more on the sides.

You have a 40 pound tank if it is glass, and 25 gallons of water is another 200 pounds. Will the stand hold 240 pounds? If it will, put the tank on the wood (preferably 1/2 inch plywood treated with water sealant) and set that on top of the stand and the tank on that.
If you put the wood board on the stand and then pile 240 pounds worth of bricks on it, you'll get some idea of how stable it is.

I heard if the corners aren't supported, you're more susceptible to leaks and your bottom giving out. My gf has a 10g on a weak stand and she has it so uneven. I would build an extension to be safe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard if the corners aren't supported, you're more susceptible to leaks and your bottom giving out. My gf has a 10g on a weak stand and she has it so uneven. I would build an extension to be safe

Thanks. That was what I was wondering. Even if I use a board underneath, the corners aren't really supported.

It might look ugly, but a cross beam might work.

New 29g tank options!

Lots of sales right now.

Petco has the $1/gallon sale, but when I priced everything out, including the hood, it ended up being more expensive than the deal Petsmart has.

Tank - $29
LED Hood - $40 (amazon)
Aqueon QuietFlow 50 - $25
Heater - $10 (ebay)
-------------------------
$105

At petsmart, the 29G starter kit is $90, with another $20 off online orders. I added the largest (170g ) pump they sell and the whole package is $100. Added a 60g Aquatop sponge.

Starter Kit - $ 70
AIR-8000 Pump - 30
Sponge Filter - $10 (ebay)
--------------------------------
$110

For basically the same price, I get a large air pump and sponge, along with whatever HOB comes in the kit. I think a 30g HOB + 60gallon rated sponge will be better than a single large HOB.

Neither LED hood is great quality, but I can always upgrade the LEDs with one of the multi-color ebay kits. I don't know if the leds that come with the kit hood are good enough.

This seems like the best option for a budget kit. Let me know if there is a better option for around $100.

Back
Top Bottom