New 29 Gallon Build - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any ideas on why the ammonia is getting eaten up so quickly with no nitrates/nitrites forming now?

The coral itself isn't as good as the one with the aragonite. Message me your address and I will mail you a bit to try if you are in the US.

I have read where sometimes the nitrite reads for such a short time after the conversion if you don't test at just the right time you won't see it. The nitrates could be plant food.

I really do appreciate it. I'll shoot you a message. That does make sense on the nitrites. You think the nitrates from the cycling could be eaten by the plants though? I don't think the cycling is done in this short period of time do you? It's been going just over a month now.

You should be getting close. Are your plant growing?

I had to buy a 20lb bag when I set up my tanks. It will last me forever.

My Anubias have both gotten new leaves and looks like some growth on the rhizome. The Repens have gotten a good bit of growth along the stems and just a tad bit vertically. They might be eating a lot of the nitrates but not sure how much. I can't hardly believe this tank is cycling 2ppm ammonia down to .25ppm or less in 24hrs

I had to buy a 15lb bag of crushed coral so that will be around for a while under the stand haha

I tried straight coral first. But it didn't stabilize the ph for me as well as the one with the aragonite. Not sure why, but it has kept my tanks stable where I have added it.

I will sure give it a try. I sent you a PM earlier with some info. It is going to be good to get the fish out of the 10 gallon and into their new home. Just don't want to do it too early. Im hoping some fellow members might be able to let me know when it is ok to put them into their new home :)

Tested the water last night and the nitrites are back. They are up around .5ppm and ammonia was still sitting between .5-1ppm. nitrates climbed up a little hit around 10ppm. pH also took a nose dive to around 6.2-6.4. I will post a pic of the test results below.

Also planted some Purple Mudwort (limnophila heterophylla). My first time planting stem plants like this and it gave me a whole new respect for planting them. It would have been next to impossible without tools. Hopefully the stems will straighten out after a few days trying to reach the light. they were crammed in the package no doubt

6/19/17

Ammonia: .5-1ppm

Nitrites: .5ppm

Nitrates: 10ppm

pH: 6.2-6.4

Temp: 79.1

f16761d559b5e17f69fb8468ed7f7b00.jpg

1a14cfc8421276a08dd362fadc6a5db9.jpg

959dbb6b95ff7bac98755d83c43eb7a0.jpg

So the test tonight revealed that nitrites have almost completely disspated in a 27hr period along with the ammonia going from a bit over 2ppm to .25ppm or less. pH is sitting at about 6.2 with a temp of 79.1 and nitrates are around 5-10ppm. The GH was 4 and KH was 5. Did a 25% water change after the test, dosed ammonia back to 2-2.5ppm, and did a 1/3 of a dose of Thrive to add nutrients to the new water. A pic of the test results and updated shot of the tank is below.

Once the tank is ready to give my 6 neons, 1 Otto, and 1 tetra glofish a new home please let me know. Trying to get others opinions alongside mine just in case mine might be a tad on the early side. Just want to make sure everything is ok before I put them in.

6/20/17

pH: 6.2

Ammonia: .25ppm (dosed back to 2-2.5ppm)

Nitrites: 0-.25ppm

Nitrates: 5-10ppm

GH: 4

KH: 5

8a5c965a141acbca62d091c503e4c49f.jpg

d75a5e762ecd587a796c964ab76e8cf8.jpg

Tested the water again this evening and the results have started to show a slowing process in the cycle. Seems when the pH drops to around 6.0 or maybe less the cycle seems to go into a stall. The results tonight showed the pH has continued to drop with the test showing 6.0 and the ammonia was at 2ppm last night this evening it still showed around 1ppm. Nitrites are sitting at .25ppm and nitrates were 5-10ppm. The temp is 79.1 and that has been holding pretty steady.

Hoping this tank will cycle in the near future since I am dosing prime/safe and doing 40-50% water changes every day in my 10gal to keep the fish as happy as possible until their new home is ready.

6/21/17

Ammonia: ~1ppm

Nitrites: .25ppm

Nitrates: 5-10ppm

pH: 6.0

0f12a13b22f1d18e0b6898da64974b6d.jpg

Tested the water last night before I crashed out to the bed. Long day between work and helping a family member move. I also got some crushed coral with aragonite placed in the filter thank to @TMaier. When I tested the water I was kind of shocked at the results. The ammonia was at 0ppm with a pH of 6.4. The nitrites were 0ppm with 0-5ppm of nitrates. I does the ammonia back to 2ppm and added a half of a dose of Thrive.

What are the thoughts on the cycling process? Should I keep on dosing the ammonia back to 2ppm for the next few days and monitor that along with the nitrites just to make sure?

6/22/17

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 0-5ppm

pH: 6.4

Temp: 78.9

6d8db534c93ea9deb44d734d05b02575.jpg

Tested the water again this evening and the tank cycled out 1.5ppm in 26hrs. I shook the nitrate bottle to death and banged the caps together since I saw that may help on a YouTube video. Turns out I have well over 100ppm nitrates. No nitrites are present and the pH is around 6.4-6.6 which I'm glad it's not down at 6.0 anymore. I'm sure the pH raises up a bit during the light cycle but I'm not at home when they are on to test it.

I will post a pic of the test below. Do you think the tank has cycled? If so I am going to do an 80% water change and maybe try to acclimate the fish to their new home. What do you think?

Or should I do the 80% water change and dose ammonia one more time?

@toolman @TMaier

6/23/17

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 100ppm+

pH: 6.4-6.6

Temp: 79.2

b30e98328925be60b038f98edb914f52.jpg

I think you are there. A big water change will bring that ph up and hopefully it sticks. Don't rush. Wait a few more days to see the numbers stick. Then add some stock.

Thank you for the tips @TMaier sometimes I over think things and need another opinion on the situation. I did the 80-90% water change and while I had the water out I tinted the back of the tank to hide the supplies, wires, and filter. It really makes the greens pop a lot more than I thought it would. I dosed the ammonia back to 1ppm instead of near 2ppm and dosed Thrive. I will probably get 2-3 more days of fishless cycling in just to make sure everything is steady and the numbers stick like you said. Everything went very smoothly during this whole adventure tonight which is a blessing. It's going to be nice to see everyone in their new home next week with more room to swim and live. Kind of worried about the current in the tank with the 425gph circulation pump thinking maybe I need to go to one that is around 200-250gph maybe. Not quite sure until they get in there new home

6/24/17

80% water change
Dosed Thrive
Dosed ammonia to 1ppm

The tint as I was cutting it to fit:

a30b5966d99eb9a31d70ef5473d93776.jpg

The tank after tint:

b69eea8bd2ce55e844e130017408f579.jpg

Much better. I hate cords. I have the Hydor 240 for extra flow low in the tank. It's on a timer and runs 4 hours every morning. It keeps Cyanobacteria away. I have dead areas due to all the crap in my tank. It's pretty strong too. I have it behind some wood so it doesn't overpower.
IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg

Thank you I really like not being able to see wires or supplies through the tank. I believe a few weeks ago you recommended the 240. I believe you were dead on. Is yours near the top to increase surface agitation or near the bottom. Looks like it is near the bottom but the reflections are like looking at an optical illusion. Beautiful plants though I really like the red hue to them. My circulation pump has been 24/7 since I first filled the tank. Is a circulation pump the best way to increase surface agitation?

I have a canister filter with a spray bar at the top for surface agitation. Back to front flow. My dead area was bottom left so that is where the Hydor is. Just skimming across the top of the sand to move anything low towards the intake on the right. The plants are AR Mini I got from Fresh2o. They have been doing well. I have the Finnex Planted + 24/7 light.

Here is a video of the flow from my Sunsun 703b.
https://youtu.be/CJ5d7tB-bTA

Wow beautiful tank @TMaier Looks like the 24/7 light is doing really well. That is dragon stone on the right side of your tank right? I really like the looks of it. That filter is indeed a monster. I may end up getting a canister one day. I would have to put a floor on my stand and might be able to put it there. The AC 70 gives really good flow but without the circulation pump I have a bad dead spot in the left rear corner of the tank.

The video is from January, the tank has changed a bit since then. The rock is black lava. Landscape supply $10. Washed it and aged it for a month+ in tank water before adding to the tank. It's hollow underneath and the Khuli's love it.

Back
Top Bottom