New 29 gallon tank-Best filter to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fwbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've set up my 29 gallon tank and I need to purchase a filter. I'm debating on 3 types.
Tetra Whisper EX Model EX30
Aquaclear Model A-600
Aqueon Model CA20

Could anyone recommend which one they would choose? I've always used Whisper filters throughout the years and found them to be very reliable. However when I read reviews on different pet sites, consumers only gave it a 3 1/2 out of 5 stars with noise as being the biggest complaint! Strange huh, hence their name.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I've set up my 29 gallon tank and I need to purchase a filter. I'm debating on 3 types.
Tetra Whisper EX Model EX30
Aquaclear Model A-600
Aqueon Model CA20

Could anyone recommend which one they would choose? I've always used Whisper filters throughout the years and found them to be very reliable. However when I read reviews on different pet sites, consumers only gave it a 3 1/2 out of 5 stars with noise as being the biggest complaint! Strange huh, hence their name.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If your looking to stay with an HOB ... I've heard great things about Aquaclear's. If you should consider a canister filter ... A Fluval 205 would work ... a 305 would give you that little extra filtration.

I have an aqueon 55 and two tetra whisper 30s on my 55g African cichlid tanks they seem to be doing pretty good right now

I'd go with 2 aqua clears or the Fluval 205/305, Eheim ecco or Rena XP1/2 if you want a canister. The recommended amount of filtration is to turn over the total volume of your tank 8-10 times per hour. So by that guideline you are going to want a filter that can handle 232-290 GPH.

I'm currently using a eheim 2213 with a 425gph powerhead on a 29, densely planted, seems to be fine.

But then again I just started a month ago.

An AC 50 would be my first choice. Don't use the carbon and add a second foam insert. The foam inserts last for years.

Back
Top Bottom