New 30 Gallon Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIIISSSHHH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I've been keeping FW fish tanks for about 6 years now and have always loved it. I have recently graduated from college and have found myself with a more stable living situation. As a result, I have decided to take the plunge into SW aquariums.

I am currently cycling my 30 gallon tank with 45lbs of live rock. In the tank right now, aside from my live rock, is a Remora HOB skimmer, 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 240's, and a heater.

My biggest question right now is about the Marineland 200 Bio-Wheel Power Filter that I bought yesterday. I was under the impression that a SW tank should have some sort of activated carbon filtration in it, but after reading up a bit more about it, I am unsure whether or not I actually need it. If someone could clear up whether or not I actually need it, that would be much appreciated. Also, if I do need it, could you let me know if I should have it running while the tank is cycling, or wait until the cycle is over.

Thanks in advance!!!

you don't need to run carbon, but it certainly can't hurt to use it. i wouldn't waste your carbon cartridges on a cycling tank.

I also have a question concerning aquascaping. I have heard that it may be potentially bad to have a lot of live rock laying down on the sand. Should I try to minimize the amount of live rock touching the sand bed, or does it matter?

i've heard that to but i've never understood it. the life still lives there and the flow of water still passes through the rocks. also it spreads the life into the sand better.

when setting up a deep sand bed the best thing to do is put the rock in first and then put the sand in, this way it allows for life to be transfered into the sand better and for water to flow down into the sand to allow the bacteria in the lower levels to break down the nitrate into oxygen and nitrogen

ahh newyorksteelo, the more i watch his videos, the more i see not everythign he says is the right thing.

watch his video about lighting, when he compares T5s to PCs

well i dont know much about the lighting side of things but alot of it videos and very useful IMO and have learned alot for SOME of his videos

they can be very useful no doubt, i woudl agree, but in some cases hes out to lunch, in this case i'd take it like a grain of sand. i mean how can "air" flow under the rocks when its in water. rock is porous for a reason, it allows for the life to live and also allows the water to flow through it, so it is passign the bacteria that breaks down the organics. also the more rock the faster the organics get broken down and the more places for fish to hide and for corals to be placed.

with his DSB he really should have to worry about how much nitrate is produced because the DSB if done right (with rock burried in the sand) the organics as they are beign broken down into ammonia nitrites then nitrates as it passes through the rock and to the DSB, those critters that live deep in the bed where there is no oxygen, will break down the nitrates and creat little nitrogeon and oxygen bubbles in the sand, which will then be released by the critters that live in the top inch or so of sand.

as well his chaeto will use the nitrates and organics to grow and in turn filter more water.

if all is done right a skimmer will just help keep the water spotless but not totally needed.

steelo in his later videos also says he plans only on doing waterchanged ever few months which is totally stupid, sure it saves money on salt and water but in the long run dosing the system and possibly needign a calcium reactor is far more expensive then a bi weekly waterchance with quality reef crystals

i don't think it matters how much of the sand bed you cover. that sand bed in the video is not even a deep sand bed. it's too shallow. he also called that pagoda cup a piece of sps.....that guy just likes to talk.
as for covering the sand bed, i always liked having some sand bed to put lps on. it's a matter of aesthetics more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom