New 40g Long need help with fishless cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha yeah I was pretty excited to notice the fall in ammonia!
What's the best way to acclimate the fish?
-just get some airline tubing and a pitcher, tie a knot or two in the tubing and let it drip into the pitcher with the store water?

Yep, you got it! (y)

Glad to see your cycle still moving, too :)

I drip acclimate everything...here's how I do it-

- You need a large clean pitcher, a bucket, and a piece of airline tubing (you can just use the bucket if you want. Make sure it wasn't used for cleaning purposes.
- Place the pitcher inside the bucket (to catch overflow)
- Place the fish and some of the water they're in now into the pitcher ( you can add as many fish as will fit comfortably in the pitcher)
- Start a syphon from the new tank (you can just suck on the end)
- Tie a knot or two in the airline tube so it restricts the flow and you get a slow and steady drip (maybe one drip per second)
- Let the pitcher slowly fill. Once full, dump half the water out of the pitcher and let it refill a second time
- After that, pour the water out of the pitcher through your net, and catch the fish then place the fish into the net
- Voila! You've drip acclimated them

Day 11:
pH: 8.0-8.2
Ammonia: 0-.25
Nitrite: 5+
Nitrate: 5.0-10.0

I think I'm going to do some water changes (correctly) to get my nitrites down. I was never able to get them below 5+ even after the 2 changes last time. It shouldn't be detrimental to the cycle should it?

After 80% change #1 nitrites are still 5+. On to change #2!

Still about 2.0-5.0 after 80% change 2. I think this will be the last one that gets it down!

Wow...that just shows you how high it was. Once it's down...I'd only dose to 1ppm for the next few days to let things catch up.

Okay, sounds good. Will that starve the bacteria of ammonia?
I have been going from 4ppm to 0 overnight for a while now.

It'll be fine. It can go quite some time before it starts adjusting to the reduced ammo. I'd say 3-4 days won't hurt at all, and will hopefully give the no2 > no3 bacteria a chance to catch up without being overwhelmed by the nitrItes.

After water change 3 they STILL no joke about 2.0-5.0. However it took the full 5 minutes for the water to turn the dark purple so I'm assuming they're getting lower as before it would instantly be deep purple as soon as the drops hit the water. I can't believe this
I tested the tap just to be sure something wasn't wrong....and it's 0.

I'd personally drain that thing down to the gravel (keep the gravel wet though). I think once we get no2 down and reduce the ammo for a few days...it's going to be a tremendous help. Just don't be shocked if it reads 5+ again tomorrow night, lol. It might shoot up...but it won't be the 20,30,40ppm that was in there before.

I'd personally drain that thing down to the gravel (keep the gravel wet though).

I just got done doing that actually =]. yeah I'll only dose to about 1ppm for the next couple days and see what happens. If my nitrites are STILL 5 after this....I'll know I"m cursed by the nitrites gods!

Okay the nitrites are down to .25! I just turned the filters back on and dosed up to 1.0ppm of ammonia. We'll see where it goes from here!

Day 12:
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0-.25 closer to 0
Nitrites: 5+
Nitrates: 10-20

Day 13: (Tested a little early today because I will be at work for the normal testing time which is usually 4.)
Ammonia: 0-.25
Nitrites: 5+
Nitrates: 20-40

Day 14:
Ammonia: 0-.25 (It looks like .25 but it's very very clear. It's not vibrant yellow though.)
Nitrites: .25!!!!!!!
Nitrates: 40!!!!!!!!!
Getting close I think!

Day 15:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0-.25
Nitrates: 40-80

Should I start dosing back up to 4 ppm now?

Flash081 said:
Day 15:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0-.25
Nitrates: 40-80

Should I start dosing back up to 4 ppm now?

Yep :). Things are flying along. Pick a time of day, test every 24 hrs, and dose back up as necessary.

Are all of those Nitrates going to cause a problem? Should I water change or just let them build up?

Hang on, I got mixed up in my threads...you're just about done (if not already) :).

I'd personally dose it up 2-3ppm, if it can drop ammo and no2 to zero in 24 hrs...pwc to get no3 below 20 and add fish!!!!

Back
Top Bottom